Tankmate for betta?

1. slashgash Member Member

I have a betta, 3 ADF, and 2 mystery snails in a ten gallon right now. Is there any fish I can put in with my betta that wont get killed? And also, I want to start a coldwater tank. Would it be safe to move my betta, frogs, and snails to my 5 gallon when its done cycling and use the 10 gallon as a coldwater tank? What could I put in the 10 gallon?

2. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I'd say you're on the verge (if not over the edge) of being stocked right now. Most people on here believe ADFs should be in species-only tanks (and I agree) and that three would fully stock a 10gal as it is.

There's not really any coldwater/temperate fish that would work in a 10gal, to be honest.

3. slashgash Member Member

So, should I move the ADFs into the 5 gallon when its cycled? Or would that be too small for the three of them. I want to get a bigger tank but moneys kinda tight right now.

4. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I'm pretty sure I've read that two ADFs fully stock a five gallon, so three would be too much. How do you feed your frogs? The biggest thing you have to watch out for with ADFs is that they don't see very well, so a lot of times they get out-competed for feed. If they are going to be in a "community" tank, they generally need to be spot-fed so they don't starve.

5. slashgash Member Member

Since theyre only in the tank with one fish right now I just feed a bit more than I would feed just them. Once my betta has had its fill theres plenty left over for the frogs and they devour it right away.

6. Heather12404 Member Member

Betta tankmates depend on the betta. Every betta has a different personality/tolerance level for tankmates. Some will kill anything in their tank, others don't care at all.
    In my 10G I have the following:
    1 male betta
    6 neon tetras
    4 male endlers
    2 mystery snails
    Approx. 10 red cherry shrimp
    Everyone gets along fine, no issues at all. But I have a very, very laid back male betta.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, it depends on the Betta. Right now I've got:

5.5 gallon
    -male betta
    -3 ADF
    -2 Cory Hasborus
    -MTS
    -RCS
    -5 kajillion plants

And I just moved around the 10 gallon that *had*

-1 male betta
    -1 clown pleco
    -5-6 Endlers
    -5 Least Killifish
    -RCS
    -lots of plants

(note: both these are over stocked, but not over crowded. Plants, along with weekly water changes, keep parameters in check)

I've had my Bettas with Guppies, Cherry Barbs, BN plecos, Black and Regular Neon Tetras, and a few others. Its about space and temperament of the betta :)

8. slashgash Member Member

My betta is a baby that I got from petco about a month ago. I cant figure out it's gender for the life of me. However, it doesnt seem to be too aggressive. I havent seen it flare at all.

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Perhaps its too young, and hasn't matured yet. But, chances are, if it grows up with fish, it will make a good candidate as a community betta :) Of course, once it hits maturity, it could decide that it wants to eat everything that moves, but until you try, you'll never know :)

10. slashgash Member Member

lol. I had some guppies in the tank with it when i first got it, and never had any problems. But i didnt know one of the guppies had ich. Which pretty much cleared out the tank. All except the betta was wiped out.

11. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know. Maybe I'm weird. But I hardly ever worry about the betta going ballistic on the other fish. I worry about the other fish ripping into the betta or stressing him out to the point that he gets sick and dies (or jumps, as has been the case of all but one male betta I put into my 20gL when it had other fish in it).

12. slashgash Member Member

lol when I was a kid I had a couple bettas in bowls (this was before I knew better) next to each other. they both jumped out of thier bowls to get to each other and I found them both dead on the dresser next to each other.

13. bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

Mine jumped because they were stressed out having tankmates. With the first two, they had three panda cories as tankmates. Both of them jumped within two weeks of being put into the tank (note that my 20gL does not have a lid or top because of the light fixture I have on it). The last betta that jumped was in there with a juvenile female ram. They ignored each other. Less than 24 hours after being put into the tank, the betta jumped and I found his body on the floor in the morning.

Every single male betta that I have put in a "community" type tank (excluding the HMPK I have in the 20gL with my female ram right now and the male CT I had in my 55gal for almost 9 months before he caught ich from some new additions and died) have not lasted more than two months.

14. slashgash Member Member

Okay, so maybe I should keep the betta alone in the 5 gallon tank. Do you think adding the two snails in the 5 gallon with the betta would be too much? or should i keep one or both in the tank with the ADFs?

15. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Not the Mystery snails, no. Two in a 10 gallon is even too much. They're the plecos of the snail world lol

16. jbdub Member Member

Like ppl have already said its very much based on their personality. Also your tanks already pretty full, another fish may just agitate him.

17. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

How long have these fish been together?
    Thinking of a neon/betta tank myself.

18. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I think you're overstocked personally. I am one of those people that think that naturally solitary fish should just be solitary fish in aquaria. Not worth the stress on me and my fish for me to "try" something just because I would like it. Especially if you only back up plan in a 5 gallon. Now me if I REALLY wanted to add some friends to my bettas tank and it didn't work out I easily have other options I can do with 8 tanks plus extras not set up. I still don't really plan on it. If it is all happy and dandy when I first put them in what happens for instance when I go to bed? I could wake up to dead fish....

If you really want other fish maybe look into moving the betta into the 5 gallon and then maybe seeing how the frogs do with other fish. I don't think a coldwater tank would work but it'd still get you more fish. Or you could just leave the 10 as it is and then maybe start up your 5 and get some micro fish or a shrimp tank.

19. can haz catfishies? Member Member

Psalm I have kept a beta along with neon and glow light tetras and had no problems over a year but I did pay attention to what he was in with in the store and how he behaved with other fish before I got him, I also had a bn plec ottos and pygmy corys in there too. He did flare a bit at the bn till he realised the bn was bigger than him then he left it well alone lol

20. Heather12404 Member Member

I've had my 10G set up this way from the beginning...November 2011.
    I had my betta in my 29G community tank for quite a while with no issues, then one day my betta started harassing my DG and I knew I needed to remove my betta so I bought him a 10G.
    I had a dwarf crayfish (CPO) in my 10G and my betta eventually started harassing him so I moved him to my 29G.
    Everyone in my 10G gets along just fine.