tankful of guppy grass died suddenly....

0morrokh

Hey guys! I haven't been on here in so long. Anyway the weirdest thing happened in one of my tanks. I noticed a while back that some of my guppy grass (which at the time had grown so well it nearly took over the entire tank) was dying. I thought it was because I was so busy I hadn't done a water change in a couple weeks & the plants must have run out of nutrients (of course I promptly did a wc w/ normal doses of ferts). Well during the past few weeks rather than coming back, my entire tankful of guppy grass has died. It just turns dark brown and disintigrates. I've never seen anything like it.

It's obvious to me something's killing it, because I haven't changed anything in that tank. I thought it might be something toxic in my water, but the black phantoms & other plants (java ferns) are doing great. Anyway I have guppy grass in another tank and no signs of it dying.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Again all my parameters are the usual and the other fish and plants are healthy. Just a massive amount of guppy grass that was previously thriving has all died in a short amt of time.

Btw I'm leaving for a field study in the Fl Everglades tomorrow so I won't be able to reply for a while. Just thought I'd post now while I have some time. Any input would be very appreciated, this really has me stumped....

Aquarist

Hello Omorrokh. I don't have a great deal of living plant experience. Hopefully someone will respond before you leave.
Travel safely.
Ken

0morrokh

bumpity bump................

TedsTank

I've had a clump of java moss do that!.. It seems if the plants get too dense, they begin dieing out in the middle...which accelerates if you don't catch it early.....also watch your water parameters.....that much decay can zap up yout ammonia levels....and bang minicycle!!!! I have a large clump of mixed floating plants in my 55 gal, and, weekly swish them around to open them up a bit for water circulation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Pariah
  • Question
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Ebreus