55 Gallon Tank tank won't cycle

gfmarsh1972
I am new to fish keeping, and I set up my tank 2 months ago. It will not cycle, I have been doing daily/every other day water changes to bring ammonia down. I added tetra safe start 3 days ago and still not nitrites. What could be wrong??

ammonia 1
nitrite/nitrate 0
6 zebra danio
4 cory cats.

lots of brown algae and little green. The water is nice and clear 23 - 24 C

ryanr
What test kit are you using? (we, this community, recommend the API Master Kits)

Have you had a nitrite spike at all?
What filtration do you have?
What size tank?
pH?

It is possible that you are getting false positives on ammonia (depending on the test kit)

My advice, keep up the water changes (daily/2nd day), using Seachem Prime (Prime will detox the ammonia, but still make it available to beneficial bacteria to grow)

Also, the temperature could be raised to around 26-27. Lower temperatures will inhibit bb growth.

Also, what is causing the algae?

A little more info, and we can probably help a lot more.

gfmarsh1972
yes, apI master kit. I have a marineland emperor 280 and a aqua-tech 30-60 filters. I have purchased prime (haven't use any since safe start doesn't recommend water changes for 10 days, but I don't like the ammonia so high) 55 gallon tank no nitrite at all I usually test twice a day morn and evening. ph is around 7.4. as far as the algae, I have know idea what might be causing it.

gfmarsh1972
yes, bio-zyme, but I did a significant vac and filter change about a week before tetra safe start.

Lucy
That might explain why it didn't cycle before this.

With TSS, you're not supposed to test for 10 days after adding it.

gfmarsh1972
should I continue water changes??

Lucy
With TSS, you're not supposed to do a water change or test for 10 days after you start to use it.
The link in post #4 should answer most of your questions.

gfmarsh1972
when doing water changes, should I always dose prime/aqua safe for the whole tank or just the water change?

ryanr
I only dose for the water change, not the whole tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom