Tank with some sort of SKIM or SLICK on top of water???????

1. guppyguy76 Member Member

I have a water skim or slick on my 5 gallon tank. I have no clue what it is or came from. :confused: My filter exit is creating bubbles that won't go away and along the edges of the tank in the half where the filter is located. I have a Tetra in tank filter. The filter clogs rather fast when replaced. I don't have a test kit. Also had a rather large fish loss after putting 2 new fish into the tank including the new ones. Not the first time. I was manage to save 1 guppy and my Albino Cory Cat. I am going to be getting a bigger tank as soon as I can along with better filtration and UV sterileizer.

2. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Could you post some pics? It is kind of hard to know what it is.

3. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

If it looks like white skimmy stuff on top of the water. Most likely it's because there's not enough movement in the tank. That is what happened to my 10 gallon tank. I had my filter on low and it had white stuff on the top of the water. I then put the filter on high and now there's surface agitation. That got the Job done

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. guppyguy76 Member Member

Mysteriously the slick and foam has gone away. HMmmmm. I did a 35 percent water change yesterday after the fact.

5. guppyguy76 Member Member

The slick has returned after I did a water change. I have an in tank Whisper 10i. I did the change a few days ago. Ughh....
    [​IMG]

6. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Could be a protein film. I solved this problem by creating surface disturbance and more frequent water changes.