Tank With No Substrate

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by CatPlaysWithPets, Apr 14, 2017.

1. C

CatPlaysWithPets Valued Member Member

Hey guys. It's me again. I was curious on if it would hurt anything to remove the substrate from my 55. I've grown tired of the substrate and think it would be cool to have a tank without substrate, then to have live plants in pots, and things like that.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Nothing wrong with that.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It may depend on the fish. Fish like cory cats, and loaches really like to dig in sand.

4. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Yup depends on the fish you have... Some fish like it better with the substrate but there is no problem in trying

5. OP
    OP
    C

Alright. Not going to have any bottom feeders. Only scavengers I might have are snails. Though I'm worried my Oscar might kill them. Yes I know he can't be in there his whole life. If you live in the 95376 area, you can pick him up if you want. He's about 5 inches

6. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Just as a heads up you aren't really allowed to sell fish/snails on here until you get 50 posts. :) I have zero room for a Oscar, as you know they need big tanks. With an Oscar you might be able to get away with no substrate. The snails may actually enjoy substrate.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Not selling him. Giving him away

8. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Your Oscar's should be fine but for your snails I think substrate will be better... But yes you really can't house them together

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice