Tank with carnivourous plants? With fish? 29 Gallon Tank 

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My girlfriend got me some venus fly traps. Where we live we have greenhead flies, which have a nasty bite and will leave you bleeding. So, fly control is essential.

The flytraps are going outside, but I'd like to use one of my empty tanks to house some carnivourous plants - Insectavours.

I'd LOVE to be able to split a 29 horrizontally with the plants on top. Perhaps I can make a ledge that will cover one half of the tank?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You mean kind of like a paludarium right? This is what comes to mind for me https://www.paludariums.net/
Sounds like it would be cool.
carol

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, first off, thanks for post a topic in my area of expertise, CP's. First Venus fly traps aren't gonna rid you of an insect population but if it does get one, its awesome.

Back to you aquarium, the problem with VFT's in an aquarium is they need winter dormancy.

https://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=8 This is a care sheet link.

Now there is tropical carnivorous plants that would thrive n a situation like your invisioned setup with high light like T5's. Tropical sundews(beware there are non tropical sundews) and butterworts. Also utricularias.

If you want more in depth info on Carnivorous plants (CP's)

Let me know.

alex

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I will mention Nepenthes(tropical pitcher plants but they grow quite large.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I wasn't planning on putting the flytraps in the tanks for that reason. I'd like something tropical, I guess, that doesn't require wintering. But that's not a must, though, because I'd liketo set it up such that I can remove the plants at will - hence the shelf I was talking about.

Sundews are at the top of my list, though.

I want to put pitcher plants outside.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
CPs are more work than a fish tank! VFTs will not help with your bug problem sorry to say, they are made to attract bugs

I don't know anything about keeping them in an aquarium with fish, you can get small austrailian pitcher plants that are very small that might work for you.

I know a great website and forum for CPs if you want it just PM me

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Jaysee said:
My girlfriend got me some venus fly traps. Where we live we have greenhead flies, which have a nasty bite and will leave you bleeding. So, fly control is essential.
Sorry, my comment it OT from your question but.....
Omg, those things will take you down and have you whimpering.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Secret CP website...nice.

The flies don't bite me for some reason. When I'm out working on the boat, everyone gets bit but me. AND I don't use bug spray - can't, cause I'm touching all the baits and hooks and everything. Fish don't like the smell or taste of bugspray. There are piles of dead flies by the end of the trip.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Jaysee said:
Secret CP website...nice.
I would give it, I just didnt want to get 'in-trouble' for posting another forum's website on here

**EDIT**

Ok, here is the forum I belong to on keeping CPs, they have a live chat window and are super helpful. Just jump right in if you want

https://terraforums.com/forums/

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kupcake said:
I would give it, I just didnt want to get 'in-trouble' for posting another forum's website on here
I don't think you'll get in trouble. Many people reference plant sites, because they are specialized. I don't see a conflict of interest with a carnivourous plant website and fishlore....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kupcake said:
You can post a link to another site as long as it's helpful to the original topic.
From FL rules:
5. Outbound links that add to the discussion or help in some way are allowed. However, this does not mean that webmasters for other sites can use this forum to create links to their sites solely for the purpose of creating links.

alexizhere23

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Kupcake said:
CPs are more work than a fish tank! VFTs will not help with your bug problem sorry to say, they are made to attract bugs

I don't know anything about keeping them in an aquarium with fish, you can get small austrailian pitcher plants that are very small that might work for you.

I know a great website and forum for CPs if you want it just PM me
The australian pitcher plant (cepholatus Folicularis) is extremely difficult dur to is distain for being moved.

Temperate species such as Sarracenia and VFT's are easy if requirements are met.

Tropicals are a little less forgiving, Check out the International Carnivorous plant Society( cheap plug from an ICPS member).

alex

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm about 99.9% certain those flytraps she got me will die. I hope she didn't spend too much.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How come? I've always heard that VFTs need some kind of peat moss inside the pot to keep in humidity, and need to be watered with distilled water, because certain minerals could effectively clog up the delicate roots. But they aren't all that vulnerable.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads