tank with built-in filter questions

1. TikiBird Well Known Member Member

I went to my LFS to pick up something for a friend and of course fell in love with a new tank/stand that they let me have for a great deal! I jumped on it. Now I have some questions about the filter it came with.

I only have experience with HOB filters. What is this thing? What are the black ball things for? Is there charcoal in them? Where does charcoal go if it's not in those? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466292394.077903.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466292410.181362.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466292423.616611.jpg

2. uncfan Member Member

Those are bio balls and the white pieces are ceramic , both are for good bacteria to grow on. There should be stuff below these. Sponge, and some kind of chemical filtration (carbon, etc.). Can you get more pics?

3. TikiBird Well Known Member Member

Thanks, uncfan! Here's a pic looking down. The only thing that is underneath seems to be plastic with an impeller (?). ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466295439.882657.jpg

Can I just take a sponge and a bag of carbon and stuff it in down there on top of that?

ETA: Here's another look at it from the side. Should I leave the bio balls loose in the bottom like that, and then stack a sponge, carbon, and the ceramic media in that order? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466300164.479484.jpg

ETA: Here's another view--there's a space in the bottom with nothing in it. Should I put a little piece of sponge there perhaps?

Sorry for all the questions! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466302969.494043.jpg

Here's the tank it is, if it helps: http://aquatop.com/zen-nano-glass-aquarium-zn-3g.html

4. TikiBird Well Known Member Member

Sorry for all the posts. I think I figured it out. The Amazon page for it shows a pic of the filter and I think I can just use a sponge and carbon and then bio media, instead of having all three compartments for bio media like the store had it set up.