Tank With Ammonia

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by pasp475, Apr 20, 2017.

1. pasp475

pasp475Valued MemberMember

I just added 6 zebra danio yesterday, and I wanted to see what my levels were today. My ammonia is .25. And Nitrites are 0.
    My tap water has 0 ammonia.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

The bio filter wasn't quite ready for the bioload. Keep an eye on it and dose prime if needed. It will protect fish from up to 1 ppm ammonia and nitrite. The bacteria should catch up quickly

3. Kiks

KiksWell Known MemberMember

Did your tank finish cycling before you added the fish?
    What's the size of your tank?
    What's your nitrate reading?

4. OP
    OP
    pasp475

My tank was finished cycling. My tank is 20 gallons. Nitrate is between 0 and 5.
    I added prime earlier this morning.

5. Kiks

Then it's probably as AngelTheGypsy says. You added too many fish at once and your tank has a hard time adjusting to the bio load.

6. OP
    OP
    pasp475

Do I need to add prime everyday?

7. Kiks

Well. I don't use Prime. I use something similar when I do water changes, but I only dose when I change water. I'd suggest doing water changes to lower the ammonia and then add Prime.
    You could do a 50% water change and then another 50%. That'd make your ammonia really low.

8. OP
    OP
    pasp475

I added prime and my ammonia is 0.

9. AngelTheGypsy

It was probably just a little hiccup. You can add prime anytime you see ammonia bump like that, it leaves it for the bacteria to catch up but makes it harmless to the fish for 24-48 hours. By then your bacteria will have taken care of it.

Congrats on the new fish!

10. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

Its important to note that Prime does not remove ammonia.
    Prime detoxifies ammonia by turning it into ammonium. Still able to be processed by your bacteria and converted into nitrites and eventually nitrates, but ammonium is basically harmless to fish.

Water changes are your best bet at ammonia removal

If your using the API Test kit, sometimes a 0ppm can look like a .25

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. Kiks

I'd still suggest doing a water change. Your fish wont dislike it.

12. OP
    OP
    pasp475

How much water should I change? I am sorry for all the questions.

13. Kiks

It's absolutely fine that you ask.
    I'd just do a usual 25% since your ammonia is at 0.

14. Nauthes

NauthesValued MemberMember

I agree. About 25% Weekly should be fine.

15. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

How did you cycle the tank before adding fish?

16. AngelTheGypsy

Here's the thread from when they were cycling.

Start New Cycle

Start New Cycle

17. el337

Thanks, I just read through that thread.

@pasp475. I think you might have experienced a crash or that your cycle stalled because the nitrates were off the chart and the nitrites also got too high. The fact that the latest reading you posted in your other thread before adding fish showed 0 nitrates indicated you didn't complete the cycle since the amount of ammonia dosed should've yielded some nitrates.

I think the addition of the danios is now putting you through a cycle again. But I think if you add Prime to help detox that ammonia, your bacteria colony should catch up.

18. OP
    OP
    pasp475

So, today I did a 25% water change, and I added prime. So, what do I need to do now?

19. el337

Test daily and if the ammonia+nitrite are less than 1, dose Prime for the full tank volume to protect the fish since one dose of Prime will cover up to 1ppm for 24-48 hours. If the ammonia and nitrite get to 1 or above, do at least a 50% wc to get them under. You can dose a bacteria supplement like Seachem Stability to help finish up.

20. OP
    OP
    pasp475

Thanks @el337 for all your help. I wish I would have waited until I added fish, but I thought my cycle was finished.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice