Tank Water Randomly Leaked Everything When I Wasn't Home! Help

Tjwang94
HI guy,

I just made an account to post this question because I don't think I was able to find a thread somewhere about this and I'm too stressed at the moment to think. I had a 10 Gallon used tank from a friend and decided to raise a betta fish with other fish. I did a ton of research and cycled the tank. I have live plants as well and I thought everything was going good. A couple weeks into this I was away during the day the tank suddenly sprain a leak. Thank god my mom was home at the time and heard the alarm from the filter or heater or something that had a built in alarm. She was able to save the betta and its currently in a container with a heater. I put one of the plants in there as well hopefully some of the bacteria carries over for the temporary home.

What should my next steps be from here? I'm looking into a NEW tank. NO more used. Should I attempt to keep the same substrate and plants and decor as an attempt to help cycle the new tank? should I not wash the filter and just put it into the new tank until it is cycled? should I be doing full water changes on the container everyday to make sure the betta is kept generally okay?

Any help or input is appreciated.

I know I made the mistake to not prepare a emergency tank. But I didn't think a problem like this would happen so soon. I was going to prepare one down the line.

Bryangar
HI there,

Things like this happen, no need to worry about not being prepared. That’s unfortunate that it happened, good thing your mom was there to save the day.

Do you know what size the container is that the betta is in? When you set up the new tank transfer as much as you can. Everything that was in the old tank if possible. Dont wash the filter. Use it like that to save the surviving beneficial bacteria. Depending on the container size and how long the betta will be in there should determine how often you should do water changes. Don’t ever do full water changes.

Tjwang94
Thank you for the timely response. I really don't want him in there long. I should have a new tank on monday. But here is the container.

Attachments

• betta side view.jpg
    betta side view.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 115
  • betta top view.jpg
    betta top view.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 123
Bryangar
That should be good until monday. Can you add the filter to the container? If not I would recommend 25% water changes using temperature matched, conditioned water until you get the tank. I would add a bit more spots for him to hide, he must be really stressed.

yukondog
Welcome to the sight Tjwang. Take the filter and keep it running, don't wash anything, just move from tank to [if you can] container or bucket of tank water. Good luck

Tjwang94
Welcome to the sight Tjwang. Take the filter and keep it running, don't wash anything, just move from tank to [if you can] container or bucket of tank water. Good luck

Thanks man! The filter is too big to fit in the container. Are you saying to keep it running somewhere else?

NLindsey921
You can fill a bucket with declorinated water or old tank water and keep it running on that to keep the bacteria alive

Tjwang94
You can fill a bucket with declorinated water or old tank water and keep it running on that to keep the bacteria alive

Sounds good man thanks a lot

yukondog
The main thing you want to do is keep the bacteria in your filter alive.

sushifanta
Submerse your filter media to keep your cycle alive. Using any decor and plants from the old tank is fine, you can basically just transfer everything. You can use some types of Rubbermaid tote as a temporary tank as well, if you still want a display.

ELON MOLLUSK
Also if you don’t have another source (another heater)to accurately add temperature matching water during water changes you can simply take some air line hose that you’d use for an air stone , sponge filter etc etc and drip acclimate the new water into the tank( Tupperware ;p) by elevating the fresh water above the tank and performing suction to the air line hose . If you feel the water is coming out to quickly tie a knot in the airline hose and it will literally drip acclimate.

jdhef
Welcome to FishLore!

In order to keep the bacteria colony in your filter alive, your going to need an to have an ammonia source, since ammonia is the food the bacteria lives on. It doesn't matter if you use old tank water or new dechlorinated water, but whatever water you use needs to have ammonia added to it.

Since it's only temporary, I would look for a container large enough for your new filter and your betta. This way, the betta will be producing ammonia and your bacteria will be consuming it.

Tjwang94
I've moved him into a bigger container big enough for the filter and put most of the old decor in it. I just feel so bad for the little guy. Gotta get him his new home soon and nurse him back to health

Seasoldier
I've moved him into a bigger container big enough for the filter and put most of the old decor in it. I just feel so bad for the little guy. Gotta get him his new home soon and nurse him back to health
Sounds like you're doing the best you can & are at least giving the betta a fighting chance, hope all works out for you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
max h
Replies
Views
default-fish
Replies