Help Tank water is the colour of Lime Kool-Aid !

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think we're just at cycled, but I'm going to hold off a few more days just to be sure. Just to give an idea of where we are.

No plants.
No fish.

Tank is in the living room, yes it gets fairly direct sun. Cannot be changed.

And green - very green - water.

Algae, I'm sure. But it's got to be tiny algae that's suspended in the water.

Any suggestions for plants or first fish that will help with this algae over abundance ?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
fish wont help much with the green algae, and plants may suck up some of it...lets hope some plant members can help with that!!
is there a way to have all the sides and back covered with dark backgrounds? otherwise, you are always going to have green algae water issues IMO ...unless the plants can take care of it...good luck!

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just before I go check out that link, Ken, I'll just say that the water isn't particularly cloudy. It's not crystal clear by any means, but I can see through it

I should be able to cover the back with black. Maybe the one side that's closest to the window.

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can't cover the window to block the sunlight,get a UV sterilizer. It should clear up your water in a day or two. They are a bit expensive for a good one,but you get what you pay for,and it is better than looking at green water IMO.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Jack - that video is awesome. I'm sure the product works but the dub on the satified customer is a crack up!

Jack Schiffer

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yea the dub is funny but the product works. I use it in my ten gal and almost ready to place it in my 30 gallon.

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used the same one and it does indeed work well. Green water is generally caused by excess ammonia.Plants might help some but may suffer if the light is blocked too much by the green. A blackout once your cycled or a sterilizer is the way to go IMO. A blackout would need to be done once the ammonia levels are under control or it will just come right back again.
I used fought green water while I was cycling and I got sick of looking at it...the UV was a cheap option and was also good for fighting Ich etc.

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Our PetSmart doesn't have the cheap UV sterlizer, I think it's likely just a US product.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw it in an Australian shop yesterday for $100! Big difference to the US price.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the exact water parameters? I'd bet that the probem is a combination of bright sunlight & high levels of wastes in the water. Plants will help with the water quality as will frequent water changes but I don't think they will solve your problem. I think the sunlight is the biggest factor at work here & I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a long term problem.

If you can't block out the sunlight then you may want to think about relocating the tank or if that isn't possible a UV sterilizer might be the only option left available to you.

That video is a crack up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom