Tank water evaporation?

BrandyH312

I know water in the tank will evaporate, but can y’all tell me about how much is normal? I’ve noticed my water level is going down a bit quicker than I used to realize, but maybe I just wasn’t paying attention before.

Nobote

RH is low in winter, even more so in a cold environment. Only way to reduce water evaporation is to seal off the too of the aquarium better, which some people would argue reduces gas exchange.

Upvote 0

kallililly1973

I do my WC's every 5-7 days on all my tanks and they are usually 1/2-1" below the rI'm by the 7th day.

Upvote 0

david1978

Depends on a few things. When I heated with a wood stove it sucked the water out my tanks. Now with the coal stove its about half that. With propane or electric heat it will be much less.

Upvote 0

saltwater60

Do you have a humidifier for the house on the furnace if not you can get a humidifier and this should help. Or kids for the tank.

Upvote 0

MacZ

The type of lighting, room humidity, room temperature and having a lid or not, have all some kind of impact and may cancel each other out as well as accelerate evaporation.
I left the lit open during cycling and until I started using the room heating this fall. I know my heaters draw a lot of humidity from the air in my rooms, which I already compensate with a simple jar of water on the heater. Still before I put on the lid, the evaporation peaked at what would come down to half a gal in 24h.

Upvote 0

BrandyH312

I do my WC's every 5-7 days on all my tanks and they are usually 1/2-1" below the rI'm by the 7th day.
I do the same water changes, and that’s about how much mine goes too. I just never paid attention before and I was worried I might need to try to find a leak. Now I know it’s normal lol. Thank you

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kasshan
Replies
Views
napa15rt
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Question