Tank water cloudy

1. g

gloaming New Member Member

Hi! I have a five-gallon Fluval Chi with a Betta and two cory catfish. It's beet set up for about three weeks now. It has three live plants (not sure what they are, as they came in a packet of bulbs). I don't know the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels. How do you figure that out?

Yesterday I did a 25% water change, and the water is still cloudy. I'm also seeing a lot of brown algae. Not sure what to do about that. The filter is running nicely and the fish are active.

Any ideas on why the water is cloudy? I read somewhere that brown algae is normal for a new tank, but I still don't like it!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

As I said on your other post, you should not have Cory catfish in a 5g tank.
    What kind of substrate do you have?

3. OP
    OP
    g

The substrate is sand.

4. FallenOwl

Is it play sand, or aquarium sand?

5. OP
    OP
    g

It's aquarium sand.

6. FallenOwl

Did you rinse it?
    If you did, IME, you just need to let it sit for a couple hours, although sometimes it can take 1-3 days to completely settle.

7. OP
    OP
    g

I rinsed it before I set up the tank about three weeks ago, and I haven't had a problem with cloudy water until now. Could it be a problem with ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates? I feel like such a bonehead! I'm going to buy water testing stuff ASAP.

8. FallenOwl

After you get the water testing kit, test the water and post it here ;)

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It's most likely a bacterial bloom which is common in new tanks.

As for the algae, how long are your lights on?