Tank Water Clarity

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When did you first set up the 29g? It could have nothing to do with your substrate and just be a bacterial bloom. If you do think it is from the substrate, do a 100% WC and that will remove all the "dust"

Matt50680

Reaction score
The 29g tank has been running 2 weeks now. The 10g has been ruining for a month. I got the 10g tank on Black Friday and 2 weeks later for the 29g.
I put everyone from the 10g into the 29 gallon along with the water from the 10 g. I rinsed the 10 g out and put the Spectrastone in and am going to use it as a Red Cherry Shrimp tank. So basically the 10g tank has been running the same amount of time but it' still clear.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The 29g tank has been running 2 weeks now. The 10g has been ruining for a month. I got the 10g tank on Black Friday and 2 weeks later for the 29g.
I put everyone from the 10g into the 29 gallon along with the water from the 10 g. I rinsed the 10 g out and put the Spectrastone in and am going to use it as a Red Cherry Shrimp tank. So basically the 10g tank has been running the same amount of time but it' still clear.
It doesn't sound like your 29g is cycled. So the cloudiness is probably a bacterial bloom. Do you have any way to check your paramenters?
If you still have the filter media from the 10g then move that to the 29g. Then just wait and it should clear up on its own. Don't do any water changes and it usually takes about a week to clear.

Matt50680

Reaction score
I ended up going nuclear on the 29g NYE night. I drained 10 gallons of it into a holding tank and transferred all my little buddies into it. I drained the tank the rest the way and the glass was nasty looking so I put it in my shower, sprayed it down with a 1 part bleach 20 parts water solution and scrubbed with a new clean sponge. I rinsed it for about 10 minutes with the hottest water my shower can kick out.

Afterwards I painted the back glass black, on the outside of course and refilled it with 25 gallons of clean water that I conditioned. I topped the tank off with the water from the holding tank that had been cycling. It is now clear again, just a minor haze.

I havent put any substrate in it yet, but its been ordered and should be here Friday along with my new powerhead. I am putting in the Aqueon Quietflow 55/75 which is a 400gph advertised flow rate, more than 3 times what I have now.

For substrate I am going with Caribsea Instant Aquarium Peace River. So far everyone is doing good, havent lost anyone and they are eating.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom