Tank walls covered in worms!

Mary765
Hello!

Woke up this morning to a tank of scared guppies at the water's surface. Turned the light on to see the tank walls covered in worms!!! They certainly weren't there last night!

I can try to add a picture but they are only a couple of mm big do I doubt I can get a good one. They glide around on the tank wall fairly quickly and can seemingly bunch themselves up into a ball.

They are a creme colour with translucent white tips either end of their body.

I just need to know three things
  1. What are they?
  2. Where did they come from/why did they thrive so quickly?
  3. Will they hurt my fish?

If you need any more thank info I will be happy to provide it!

Thanks!!

Mary765
P.s I've seen one of my guppies eat one.

Milliemae124
Do they look similar to this?

Attachments

• 6C4F6A82-9FBC-4421-A8B2-126D65FE769E.jpeg
    6C4F6A82-9FBC-4421-A8B2-126D65FE769E.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 74
Mary765
Mine are much shorter and fatter.

They're only in the tank walls.

Oh, and by "scared" guppies I mean all their fins are extended, hovering in a group, easily startled etc.

Milliemae124
Could you maybe add a picture?

Skunk Corycat
Do you have a gravel vac (hopefully yes)? If so then I recommend doing a thorough gravel cleaning. If the worms still keep multiplying you may need a dewormer. Be careful though and ONLY use dewormer as a last resort.

Mary765
Could you maybe add a picture?

I'm out right now but I will do when I get home in 6 hours.

Imagine a 2mm big, cream coloured slug without a head. Like that. They might look different when they are older though.

Do you have a gravel vac (hopefully yes)? If so then I recommend doing a thorough gravel cleaning. If the worms still keep multiplying you may need a dewormer. Be careful though and ONLY use dewormer as a last resort.

I use my siphone as a vac. I haven't seen any on the gravel but I will vac it anyway.

Mary765
Milliemae124 the do look a little bit like that I guess.. But much shorter. Are those worms harmful?!

The thing is, they just appeared overnight! I haven't added in anything new to the tank except some frozen brine shrimp and prime conditioner (never used prime before lol I have a different brand usually)

Mary765
Done some more research and I think they are flatworms?!

Harmless apparently. I can just starve my fish for a few days and they will eat them all apparently. Does anybody know of this to be true?

And why did they suddenly appear in the first place?

Milliemae124
Done some more research and I think they are flatworms?!

Harmless apparently. I can just starve my fish for a few days and they will eat them all apparently. Does anybody know of this to be true?

And why did they suddenly appear in the first place?
They usually appear when you overfeed so if you fast the tank for a couple of days then they should disappear don’t worry they are harmless

Mary765
They usually appear when you overfeed so if you fast the tank for a couple of days then they should disappear don’t worry they are harmless

Oooooo that will explain it! My tank population recently decreased I guess I'm not used to feeding less mouths

Sorry for the panic, and thank you!!

Skunk Corycat
Is the worm population going down at all?

Mary765
Is the worm population going down at all?

I can't see any anymore, but my guppies are very unhappy

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kered
Top Bottom