tank vaccuum

momo9700
i'm new to having fish, I have a 29 gallon tank. its been set up for a little over a month now, but I just found out I need a vacuum for the gravel(good thing I have platies) I was wondering how you know what to get. and how they work.

lisamorie
there are a couple different kinds. so far all that I have used are basically siphons, and I have one that hooks up to my faucet, but it really depends on how much you want to spend. the basic ones are usually right around or under ten dollars.

for a 30 gallon I would probably get a medium or large. you just suck the water out of the tank (along with all of the goop) into a bucket, and then refill the tank with dechlorinated water.

or:

that is more expensive but waaay easier and just empties everything directly into your sink-- no buckets needed.

zeebo
Hello,

FYI, You can DIY.
Not difficult and parts are inexpensive.

1) Simple Siphon
get hose - length that suits you;
empty soda bottle (2 litre/1.5litre size is up to you) - cut base off;
screw a hole in the soda cap so your hose can fit in snugly.

Then watch the video on this thread and follow suit on how to get the siphon to start & work.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...asy-aquarium-siphon-instructions-video.19653/

advantage:
soda bottle doesn't crack but the ones at retail do crack when not careful using it. One will need to replace when that happens.

2) DIY Python Siphon

for an understanding on how the python works

angelfish220
I made a soda bottle one and it works great in my opinion.

zeebo
I made the soda one too.

I want to make the python but I can't find the water bed drain and fill kit here.

I did see one at a Pet Shop that was charging an arm and a leg for it....madness.

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

momo9700
okay thanks guys, I decided on a siphon I think it is

lilsoccakid
make sure u learn about the aquarium nitrogen cycle! if the tank isn't cycled, you will need 20% daily water changes.

welcome, and good luck!

momo9700
okay, isn't the nitrogen cycle just like the pH levels, nitrite levels, ammonia levels, and nitrate levels? or am I getting it confused

Shawnie
welcome to fishlore momo !! if your tank is cycled, it will have 0 ammonia and nitrites..and under 20 nitrates...cycleing doesn't have to do with ph...

momo9700
okay, yea I think my tank is cycled then. I just didnt quite understand exactly what it was.

Top Bottom