Tank Upgrades 75 Gallon Tank

1. Z

Zabulon Valued Member Member

I've currently got a 55 gallon, but I found a great deal on a used 75 off of one of my Aquarium Facebook groups. I'm excited about being able to completely redesign the tank. Looking for some suggestions on stocking.

Right now I've got a Penn Plax Cascade 1000 Canister Filter and the tank sits at 75-76. I'll be moving this to the new tank.

11 x Sterbai Cory Cats
    6 x Lake Kutubu/Turquoise Rainbowfish
    1 x Honey Gourami (F)
    2 x Golden Wonder Killifish (1M/1F)
    6 x Amano Shrimp
    4 x Nerite Snails

I'd really like to add some different colors in there. Maybe another schooling fish? Here's some I was considering:

Veiltail Cherry Barbs
    Congo or Emperor Tetras
    Kribensis
    Additional Honey Gourami

I also have a 10 Gallon tank with 2 Peacock Gudgeons running at 74-75F. Is there anything I'd be able to add in there? I raise daphnia for them, so finicky eaters aren't too problematic.

Appreciate any suggestions you guys have :)

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

i would personally get rid of the gourami, killis, shrimp, and nerites. Look into blue eyed or forktails. They look really nice with rainbows and school. I think the gourami and killis won't give you a good flow. Just make sure you have a good 1:2 ratio because they get aggressive. As for shrimp and nerites, you won't see them if you add them. I think it might just be a waste. As for the 10 gallon, are you keeping your gudgeons with a bit of salt? They should be at a low brackish level around .008. that's going to limit your options, so let us know how that's set up.

3. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

Kribensis will probably eat the shrimp (unless you're lucky).
    Killies will eat Tetras (maybe not the Congos)
    Barbs may nip at the Gouramis.

Another Gourami should work fine. Otherwise you'd probably have better luck with Pencilfish or Danios.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

If I were to rehome the Killies, what are some other options?

5. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Valued Member Member

You could try one of the Tetra/Rasbora species, and move the Killis as a plan B. Emerald Rasboras are pretty quick, and would be a nice contrast. With enough hiding spots in a big enough tank, the Emperor might even work. Personally I'd try to toss some red in there though, a school of Red Pencilfish or a trio of Platys.
    In the 10g, your Gudgeons are going to have the final say on what's going to be allowed in their tank. If all you're looking for is a bit more movement though, you could try Guppies.

6. OP
    OP
    Z

In researching, I haven't seen any issues with Cherry Barbs and the Honey Gourami. I'd like to keep her and up the number a bit. I ended up moving the Killis into another tank, so that freed up some space. What about something like this?

11 x Sterbai Cory Cats
    6 x Lake Kutubu/Turquoise Rainbowfish
    10 x Veiltail Cherry Barbs
    3-4 x Honey Gourami
    6 x Amano Shrimp
    4 x Nerite Snails

Do I have room for anything else if I go this route? I forgot to mention it's a 75 gallon planted tank with a very large piece of driftwood and some dragon stone, so there's plenty of hiding space if anyone needs it.