Tank Upgrade

Blair

Reaction score
I currently have a betta fish and snail in a 9l tank. This is too small. I need to upgrade to 20l on a budget. Any tips?

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Walmart has 10 gallon tanks (also known as 40L tanks) for $15. If you're overseas, you'll probably be able to find them priced similarly at pet stores and such, and maybe even cheaper. 20L (or 5.5 gallons) are usually harder to find, and more expensive, at least here in the States.

This heater (the 50W version) will keep your tank up to temp:

For filtration, I'd personally recommend an Aquaclear 20. It'll be a bit strong for a betta, but you can baffle it if it's too bad. If you'd rather go even cheaper, the internal Tetra Whisper 10 gallon filters aren't the worst thing ever made.

I gotta say... I saw your other thread, and I'm not sure that tank size is the issue. That usually doesn't cause a ton of problems with tail-biting and such, especially when we're talking a decent sized tank (9 liters is small, but not small enough to cause active stress, IMO), so I think you may have some issues other than tank size to consider, such as water parameters (you mentioned algae, but no water change schedule or test results).

tunafax

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Petco dollar per gallon sale will sell you a 10g tank for 10 dollars. That's cheaper than a 5 gallon.
You can get one of those 3+ gallon plastic kits, they already come with a filter that's decent for bettas and also a light. They're actually really neat tanks.
Craigslist also exists.

What is your budget?

Blair

Reaction score
tunafax said:
Petco dollar per gallon sale will sell you a 10g tank for 10 dollars. That's cheaper than a 5 gallon.
You can get one of those 3+ gallon plastic kits, they already come with a filter that's decent for bettas and also a light. They're actually really neat tanks.
Craigslist also exists.

What is your budget?
I live in New Zealand so I am pushed for tanks. I would like to keep budget to a minimum. I have considered buying a 20l kit that includes a hood light and filter.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, have a look on websites where people sell their old stuff (not sure what that would be in NZ). I've recently bought a second hand tank very cheap. It takes a bit of persistence, but I bet you can find a deal!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom