Tank Upgrade

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by 2714fish, Jul 1, 2016.

1. 2714fishValued MemberMember

I'm am planning on a tank upgrade from a 10 gallon aquascape, to a 29 gallon aquascape. I am wondering in a 29 gallon aquascape how many fish i could do. I want to keep 5 species. Glo Fish Tetras, Neon Tetras, Cory Catfish, Harlequin Rasboras, and a baby Bristlenose Pleco. About how many of each could i do? Here are my thoughts...
    - 3 Glo Fish Tetras
    - 6 Neon Tetras
    - 5 Cory Catfish
    - 5 Harlequin Rasboras
    - 1 Baby Bristnose Pleco

Would this fish stock be ok for a 29 gallon aquascape with a sand bottom, a 40 gallon filter, and a 55 gallon heater.

If this fish stock for my tank does not seem right please tell me some numbers i Should get in each species.

Thanks for the info,
    Jax

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Having 3 mid/top dwelling schools is too many, as each species needs to be in groups of 6+.

How about something like this:

8x Glofish tetra
    8-10x Neon tetra or harlequin rasbora
    10x Cory cats (all one species)
    1x BN pleco (stock for the adult size)

What's the GPH of the filter? You want 8-10x GPH for the tank volume for an HOB. For a 29 gal, that puts you around 240-300 GPH. When filters are rated for tank sizes, they're often much lower than what's recommended.

3. OP
    OP

2714fishValued MemberMember

Do you think 8 Glo Fish Tetras are to many. And do you think 10 Cory Catfish(Julli) are to many?

What about this...
    - 5 Glo fish Tetras
    - 6 Neon Tetras
    - 6 Harlequin Rasboras
    - 6 Julli Cory Catfish
    - 1 Bristlenose Pleco

Would this be okay

The filter is a HOB with a GPH*10

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2016
  4. TexasDomer

Again, you have too many schools (pick two out of three: glofish, neons, harlequin rasboras), so no, that won't work.

And your schooling fish need to be in groups of 6+.

I don't think the stocking list I gave you has too many fish or else I wouldn't have listed it.

What's the GPH of the filter? It should say on the box.

5. OP
    OP

Oh ok

I do not have the tank and equipment yet i am just planning ahead but i will try and get why ever filter you reccomend.

So this is my thinking...
    - 5 Glo Fish Tetras
    - 8-10 Neon Tetras
    - 6 Cory Catfish
    - 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    - A few Amano Shrimp

It will be an aquascape with a HOB filter(whatever you reccomend) with a heater good for a 50 gallon, and a sand bottom.

How does this sound?

6. TexasDomer

Get at least 6 glo tetras - they're schooling fish.

That sounds like that would work.

Look for a filter with 240-300 GPH. For a heater, you want one with 100-150 watts.

7. OP
    OP

Do you have any fish tanks?

If so do you have anything close to a 29 gallon aquascape.

What is the stock of fish.
    Jax

8. TexasDomer

I have 6 fish tanks running right now, about to go down to 5. I have two 29 gals. One is empty with just plant and the other has 15 Laubuka dadiburjori and a pair of Pelvicachromis kribensis. I'm combining the two 29 gals into one 44 gal tank in the next few days.

9. OP
    OP

Oh that's cool

10. OP
    OP

Tank Upgrade!

Hello everyone
    I currently have a 10 gallon fish tank and am planning on upgrading to a 29 gallon aquascape tank around Christmas time. I was wondering two things:
    1. Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or ideas of what, or how to do an aquascape?
    2. In the bigger tank i am planning on stocking with some more fish and was wondering how i should go about getting my current fish into a bigger tank with other/more fish with out harming any fish.

Here is my plan:
    1. I will get all the equipment needed for the aquascape. (Plants, Filter, Tank, heater, etc.)

2. Set up the new aquarium as an aquascape.

3. Put in the new fish that i am going to have.

4. Run the tank for about a month and let it fully cycle.

5. Introduce the fish from my current tank into the larger tank.

6. Take care of tank with needed care and enjoy.

Would this plan work with out harming any fish, but still having an enjoyable aquascape? If not please tell me what I should do differently.

Also, here is the fish stock i am planning on for the 29 gallon aquascape(including my current fish):

- 5 Glo Fish Tetras
    - 8 or 9 Neon Tetras
    - 5 Julli Cory Cats
    - 1 baby Bristle-nose Pleco
    - a few amano shrimp (5 or 6)

Does this fish stock seem good for my tank size? If not please tell me a good fish stock for my size tank (including the same fish)

Also, can i please have a little more information on aquascaping? I know what it is and i am a little experienced at how to do it but i would like a little more knowledge of how, and what to do.

Like i said, please give me lots of information and tell me if you think i should change anything.

Thanks for the help,
    Jax

11. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

Well here is a link to the aquascaping forum:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-aquascaping/

That is all I can tell you about that - I only keep low maintenance plants.
    I think you should be able to manage moving the fish over without going through an entire new cycle. Are you planning to keep your old tank running or take it down? One option would be to move your current fish to the new tank with Both the new And old filters. Run it like this for a month to seed the new filter, then remove the old filter. Run the new filter for 2-4 weeks to make sure it is up managing the bio-load on it's own, then slowly increase your stocking as you would with any newly cycled tank. Good job planning ahead.
    The only thing I see lacking from your stocking is any sort of "centerpiece fish"... which you may or may not want. A gourami, angel, etc.

12. OP
    OP

Ok thanks and I was thinking Angel fish or two Blue rams

13. Mom2some

Be aware some of the "centerpiece" fish (like angels) are well known to snack on shrimp. I don't know about Rams.

14. OP
    OP

Which would be better

15. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

It really depends what you want, personally I would either do a dwarf, pearl or honey gourami because it won't limit your stocking as much as an angel (or even Rams). If you don't want to do that and rather have 2 rams I would do a GBR breeding pair because they usually don't pick off their smaller tank makes like the Angels do. Just my personal preference though. The Amanos have a better chance of survival then other shrimp so you would really have to see how well the fish do with them.

16. Mom2some

FWIW: I don't think a pearl gourami would work in a 29. 2-3 honeys or one dwarf yes.

17. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

Listen to her I don't really know to much about gouramis.

18. OP
    OP

Ok guys thanks for the info but I'm am hesitant on gouramis because i have heard they aren't very active and have been known to easily acquire sicknesses. what's your thought on that?

19. Mom2some

Define "active". They are not zebra danios... but they do swim all over the tank. I would look at some videos on youtube.

The Dwarf gouramis have been inbred (from what I understand) and therefore are more suceptible to idirovirus... but if you get one from a reliable supplier you should be fine.

Gouramis are not a must have, but a popular community tank fish. Not, other than honey gouramis you do not want to have more than one gourami in a tank your size due to aggression concerns.

20. OP
    OP

Ok so how does this fish stock sound?

- 8-10 Neon Tetras
    - 6 GloFish
    - 6-7 Sterbai Cory Catfish
    - 1 Baby Bristlenose Pleco
    - A few Amano shrimp

It is a 29 Gallon Aquascape with a 45 gallon HOB filter

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice