Tank upgrade

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TheFragile, Aug 1, 2015.

1. T

TheFragile New Member Member

Hello all! I have a 6.5 gallon tank with a few tetras and I am looking to upgrade to a 20 gallon soon. My question is what is the best way to do this? I was planning on running my current established filter with the new filter in the bigger tank to help the new filter build up its biofilter? I was also planning on using all the current items in the tank as well, like the substrate and decorations. I will probably have to add new substrate to it since it will be significantly larger.

Any other suggestions or a better way than this? Thanks!

2. c

csawyer98 New Member Member

You seem to have a pretty decent plan already. But whenever setting up a new aquarium I highly recommend picking up a small bottle of SeaChem Prime and SeaChem Stability to have on hand. I always use the stability as directed to cycle my tanks and the Prime is a life saver for any unexpected ammonia/nitrite spikes. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

If you get the largest bottle of prime it's a better value. However I have several tanks and a couple are large. Got bit by the MTS bug

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

not sure where ur from by petsmart or petco has the $1 per gallon deal going on. i would take advantage of that and get a 30 gallon. your fish selection will be way better. i have a 20 and wish i got a 30. IMO.
    but welcome to the forum

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

My advice, if you can, get a 20Long aquarium, if your in the U.S. I think petco have 1 or 2 days left on their $1 per gallon sale.
    A 20G long has a bigger footprint and gives you better stocking options with fish/invertebrates. Also when choosing a new filter, get one rated for bigger than the tank, I would recommend an Aquaclear 30 or 50. Another one a lot of people like is the marineland penguin series however the media in the Aquaclear will most likely,never need replacing.

Last bit of advice, don't buy one of the starter kits, they may seem like a good idea but they come with the cheapest equipment out there, you spend a lot more in the long run upgrading the equipment, save yourself a few bucks whilst getting better quality equipment and buy the stuff individually.

6. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

DanB80TTS is right, i got my kit and i upgraded all the things that came with it. it just wasnt cutting it for the fish i had in the tank. more filtration is better. usually a 20 gallon i would get a aquaclear 50. a little more goes a long way.

7. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I have have deleted the off topic posts, please stay on topic.
    This is the Op's original question

8. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Check your local Craigslist too, you might be able to pick up a good deal, often getting a stand and equipment too, you'll just have to find the good deals in between all the listings that want 200 bucks for a 10 gallon.

9. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Agree with csawyer98, don't increase your fish load right away.It's always better to be cautious from the start, rather then doing damage control.

10. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Please post pictures of your new tank when set up :) your upgrade plan sounds fine, your tank cycle should hold since your bio load will be the same, just in a larger tank. Best of luck.

11. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks everyone, I already have no intention of buying a starter because the 6.5 I have now came with a starter set and I bought a new filter within a week lol. I'm going with a 20 because I am limited for space, a 30 would be way too big. Also not planning on increasing my fish anytime soon. Just curious the best way to establish a new filter because my current filter in the 6.5 will def not be sufficient for a 20.

12. TanksbyTim

TanksbyTim Valued Member Member

The best way to establish your new filter would be to use both filters on your new tank for a while so that the beneficial bacteria on your old filter can colonize on your new filter. I recommend using Seachem Stability to help establish new tanks as well.

Good luck with your upgrade! :)

13. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I'd transfer media from the established filter into the non-established filter instead of simply running both filters in the tsnk.

14. OP
    OP
    T

I'm not sure what the new filter will be like but will 2 filter media fit into one? If it's anything like the one I have now, there isn't room for 2.

15. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could take out some of the new media & replace with as much of the old as possible, the more old cycled media you can use, the less chance of any spikes when you move your existing stick over.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice