Tank upgrade questions

magic8

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to try & keep this as quick and brief as possible.

So I currently have a 65 gallon fw tank
Lighting sat plus pro

Filtration aquatop cf-400uv

Fish tiger barbs(mixed) x12/diamond tetras x7/plecos bristlenose x1/rubber lip x1/Border loaches x6

Plants low-med light plants 30-40% planted Anubas/cryts/water sprites/rotellas combination of scattered grassy plants & ferns

Substrate black sand

So now to my question I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tank not by much I'm going to a 75 gallon you may ask why not a 90 what's 10 extra gallons going to do for me my main reason is I am looking for that extra foot of length I am limited on space and where my tank sits now is in a spot I want to utilize for an extended couch I have a slate platform where my woodburning stove sits presently its 58 inches long and have plenty of depth with a rock wall behind it the platform sits about a 1' 1/2" up from the floor so I plan on putting the new tank on this slate platform.we very rarely use the wood burning stove so we decided my wife & I that a tank on this platform with the rock wall behind it would look really nice yes I can go with a 90 gallon even though it's only a few more inches high I think I prefer to have the lower height on the tank being it's going to be up on a raised platform to begin with.when I set up the tank it will be relatively a smooth and low stress transition for my fish as I'm going to have my 65 gallon up and running while I get the new tank up to speed which should be relatively quick as I'm going to be setting it up using materials water/cannister material etc from my long established tank with that being said I need some opinions on what to equip my new tank with.

1) filters I love canisters always have I want to run dual canisters what two in your opinion should I run

2) 1 heater or two for my 65 one works fine but I'm thinking for the longer tank two would be better

3) lighting I'm pretty sure a sat plus pro would be the way to go here my 65 is higher and I've had nothing but good luck with the sat plus with a smaller height I'm thinking this is the way to go but hey someone may have a better idea!

4) I plan on doing circulation pumps on this tank I always battled algae a bit in my current tank till I added two circulation pumps at opposite ends of my tank never had a stitch of algae since my plants have never looked better my fish happier and my water clearer the circulation pumps have transformed my tank so much I only wish I started running them so much longer ago I've been running them well over 6 months now and my tank has never looked better.

These are my only 3 questions I know it's a lot for 3 questions but I wanted to give you a bit of history on my current tank & the direction I want to go in so to properly answer my questions I think a bit of history & direction was necessary

Thank-you

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
1) if you like your current canister, then just get another one. I have no experience with canisters (too expensive for me to risk flooding my house LOL).
2) how many watts is your heater now? If it is 300W and your house is within 10 degrees of the tank water temp, then all that circulation (pumps and canisters) should work fine with just the one. If you aren't sure if it will work or if your heater is barely keeping the temp steady, then for sure get another one. Same if you've been using a "bad" brand of heater, then I'd get two EheI'm or fluval ones (don't have to be insanely expensive, but just a good brand).
3) The only issue is if the light is TOO bright, but that probably isn't an issue, and if you find out it IS an issue, then turn down the brightness or add some floating plants (not ones that take over like duck weed, but like redroot floaters or even dwarf aquarium bulbs that just grow to the surface and shade the lower plants.
4) if you like the circulation pumps and they work for you, then by all means use them! Just be sure that baby fish or plants aren't going to get sucked up (or flung across the tank LOL)

Also, if you are making the stand, you COULD just make it a few inches lower and then get the 90g. I did that with my 60g. The only issue is that it looks a little low to me, but that may just be that my corys and fry like the bottom and I look at them more than my other fish...

Sounds like a great project!
ps what circ. pump are you using? I ask because I have a sun sun (two actually) but they are WAY too powerful for my tanks, so I'min the market for a weaker pump that still works and is quiet.

OP
magic8

magic8

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I originally picked up a sun sun over hear know as Aquatops as well and they too were way too powerful it stated for 65 gallon but it was way too much power so I returned them and got two HYDOR EVO600's and they create the perfect water movement not too much and not too little just enough to ever slightly send a mild current over my plants which I believe has made a world of difference coupled with removing my spray bar from my out take as well.My fish really livened up after adding the pumps my border loaches love playing in the current again its not overwhelming just enough I just hope to get that perfect combination going from a 3' tank to 4' they are working now in my 65 but going to that extra foot I may need to go up a notch I'll have to see

I am probably buying the stand and I looked at the measurements up on the platform last night as having a 90 Gallon up on the platform may look too high plus I need clearance under the stand for x2 cannisters.so I think A 75 gallon is the way to go its going to leave me with 5" on both sides of the tank and really fill up the space niceley with the rock wall behind the tank and two fake pants on both sides of the tank its going to definetley be the centerpiece of the room.I've actually tossed around as far as A hood goes getting a canopy its going to look nice when all done.

as far as lighting goes unfortunately my sat plus is only 36" long so either way I'd have to go longer with my lighting!

Heating wise I have an aquatop 250W heater so not sure if that will be enough coupled with a second!

I guess I can use my existing cannister I'm going to set up the new tank before breaking down the old so it should be a relativley smooth and stress free transition for the fish!

thanks for your input,ideas & suggestions

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the circ. pump idea!

That heater would probably work on it's own, but I'd get a second 250w only reason is to have redundancy and not make one work too hard.

The 75 looks good then as does the light.

If you did want to change the filter, you could go with a EheI'm or Fluval, but if it's working, and the seals are still good, then I'd just get a second one.

OP
magic8

magic8

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks Sander

yeah I'll probably get a second heater thumbs up on having two heaters it'll just put less stress on one heater.as well as a second cannister more filtration the better!

thanks Sander

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
magic8 said:
thanks Sander

yeah I'll probably get a second heater thumbs up on having two heaters it'll just put less stress on one heater.as well as a second cannister more filtration the better!

thanks Sander
how many gph is the canister you have now? just curious if you really NEED more filtration. with a prefilter, you could fill the canister with bio balls etc and just have the intake prefilter take out the big stuff and the last stage be a polishing pad...
just an idea, up to you (I just think canisters are expensive and usually I see people using way more filter than they need on a tank.

OP
magic8

magic8

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
370 GPH is what the Aquatop is pushing out!

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
magic8 said:
370 GPH is what the Aquatop is pushing out!
That is probably enough for the 75 if you didn't want the second filter. With the circulation pumps that filter will pick up most or all of the detritus.

New Threads