Tank Upgrade: Introducing New Fish

Reaction score
Hi! I recently did a small upgrade from a very established 15 gallon planted tank to a 20 gallon high planted tank. Same AquaClear 20 filter and filter media, same decorations (including a 3D background with lots of good bacteria on it), and same live plants. The only thing I switched was I replaced the old gravel with Carib Sea Flora max. I changed over tanks last Friday, April 27th so it has been about a week. I did a partial water change (about 18%) yesterday. My question is, how long should I wait before adding my last fish?

This brings me to part 2 of the question: I just want to add one or two centerpiece fish and that's it. Which would be best? My guys are all mid-swimmers. I was thinking a pair of Bolivian Rams or maybe a single Pearl gourami or female blue Gourami? I would like to stay away from dwarfs because of the disease factor. I also lost a Honey Gourami several last year to incurable sickness after having him for about 2.5 years.

My Stock: 6 CPD's
4 Glowlight Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Zebra Nerite Snails
2 Racer Nerite Snails (I could rehome these guys to lighten up the bioload)

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Gourami123

Reaction score
Pearl gourami and blue gourami would both be too big for your tank unless you mean the blue dwarf gourami because that would be ok. Also, 20 gallons would be good for a pair of bolivian rams alone but I'm not sure how they would do with that many tank mates. So maybe add a dwarf gourami! They are very pretty and are very easy to keep.

Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for the advice! I have seen people keeping Bolivians together with CPD's successfully, but I don't want any aggression to break out since CPD's are literally my most favorite little guys. Should I wait a week longer to add the centerpiece fish?

Gourami123

Reaction score
TheFlukeIsTheDukeOfSoul said:
Good to know. Thanks for the advice! I have seen people keeping Bolivians together with CPD's successfully, but I don't want any aggression to break out since CPD's are literally my most favorite little guys. Should I wait a week longer to add the centerpiece fish?
Bolivians are pretty easygoing compared to other cichlids so I'm guessing you won't have a lot of problems with them being together but if you want to be extra careful I would add some hiding places for the CPD's.

CraniumRex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have 6 Bolivians in a few different tanks - they are lovely fish. Hard to sex and 2 males probably wouldn’t coexist in your tank so ensure you have a backup plan or buy them older so you can tell the gender. The only reliable method is looking at the vent.

They are generally easygoing even with other bottom dwellers. They do spend the majority of their time near the bottom. I have mine with harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches in a 55 and one with panda corys in a 29 gallon. He did harass the pandas a wee bit but they are pretty oblivious fish and the ram is a bit of a dink, lol. They are cichlids so be prepared for a range of temperaments. A pair of females would be fine, or possibly a m/f pair but no guarantees they will get along let alone spawn. A single ram would be okay though many reputable sites say they are a social fish and best kept in groups. I have 5 in a 55 as well and they get along for the most part. Make sure you have lots of plants and clearly divided territory markers (smooth stones or driftwood) so they know whose spot is whose.

What temp is your tank? I ruled out pearl gouramis in my 55 because of temp factors. Bolivians need to be under 76 degrees. I keep mine at 74. Any higher would shorten their lives considerably.

Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom