Tank upgrade and starting the cycle

Mich1000

Hello! Looking for advice plz. We have bought the fluval Roma 200 to upgrade our current 60l. New substrate and new decos except for 2 small decos moved over. Treated with fluval cycle bacteria booster, and fluval water conditioner. It says I can now add fish instantly. I’m pretty sure you will say otherwise lol. We have a filter on the 60l but I can’t move the filter to the new tank as not all the fish are moving over. Likewise I can’t fit a old cartridge in the new filter. Will it help to literally wash out a dirty cartridge in the new tank? And feed the new tank with fish food? we are moving over from the old tank 9 danios, so although hardy I obviously don’t want to kill them! Advice appreciated!

LowConductivity

Correct.

Wash the filter media from the old filter out in the new tank, give the few bacteria that get dislodged into the new tank something to eat and wait.

Upvote 0

Mich1000

And wait. So daily testing, I’m looking for amonia to be zero like I would everytime I do a test on my usual tank. How many weeks do you think it will take as Iv got old media? Xx

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

And wait. So daily testing, I’m looking for amonia to be zero like I would everytime I do a test on my usual tank. How many weeks do you think it will take as Iv got old media? Xx
I’d expect 2-4 weeks of watching and adjusting. With 1 beneficial bacteria becoming 2 every 17 hours or so, it’s still going to take time

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

make sure you rinse the filter media in old tank water

Upvote 0

Mich1000

I’d expect 2-4 weeks of watching and adjusting. With 1 beneficial bacteria becoming 2 every 17 hours or so, it’s still going to take time
Thank you!
We aren’t transferring the whole filter over tho as it’s needed on the old tank, I just wanted to get some of the good stuff from inside the old filter into the new tank. The sponge won’t fit inside our new filter. Can I put the old filter cartridge directly into my new tank to float around?

Upvote 0

isabeldiwata

On a related note, does adding more of the bottled bacteria over those two to four weeks have any impact? Does the tank need to have fish food added daily?

curious for a new setup of mine also

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

On a related note, does adding more of the bottled bacteria over those two to four weeks have any impact? Does the tank need to have fish food added daily?

curious for a new setup of mine also
The more bacteria the merrier.

If you want bacteria to multiply, they need to live the good life and eat...lots. I’m a fan of dosing liquid ammonia in “fish less” conditions. Super easy to make sure there is always a couple ppm of ammonia snacks that way

Upvote 0

isabeldiwata

I’m a fan of dosing liquid ammonia in “fish less” conditions.

Liquid ammonia?! I did not know that existed. Any brands you would recommend?

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Liquid ammonia?! I did not know that existed. Any brands you would recommend?
If you are stateside, Ace hardware has a nice little bottle of ammonia hydroxide thats free of any soaps for $5-6

Upvote 0

isabeldiwata

If you are stateside, Ace hardware has a nice little bottle of ammonia hydroxide thats free of any soaps for $5-6

Yup, I’m in Seattle, WA. Awesome tip, thank you!

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

Yup, I’m in Seattle, WA. Awesome tip, thank you!
Ewww....Seattle water. Make sure you keep up on the water changes as you cycle. With not much KH in the water, the whole 7ppm of KH per 1ppm of ammonia conversion can make things problematic

Upvote 0

Jojo205

I believe the OP meant they were going to rinse the filter media in their new tank’s water to hopefully transfer some of the beneficial bacteria to the new tank :)

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I believe the OP meant they were going to rinse the filter media in their new tank’s water to hopefully transfer some of the beneficial bacteria to the new tank :)
Oh. Ok

Upvote 0

Mich1000

Yes, I read that’s a good way to get some good bacteria transferred over? ‍♀️

Upvote 0

Jojo205

Yes, I read that’s a good way to get some good bacteria transferred over? ‍♀
I don’t think you’ll get a lot but you’ll definitely get some transferred over, which is better than none!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sarah1230ox
Replies
Views
bored411
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies