Tank Upgrade And Questions Of Best Skimmer And Return Pump

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ernest Sacco, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

So continuing with my addiction I've decided to upgrade my 29 long mixed reef tank to a 60 gallon cube rimless....the tank is going to be drilled and have a medium eshopps refugium sump as I want to make this set up perfect..... the tank measures 25 by 25 by 25 roughly....with this increase in size and automation I am hoping to be able to properly care for more lps and sps corals

I am being helped by my lfs with the transition but i want to know if anyone has any good suggestions for a protein skimmer and return pump compatible with the eshopps sump....I am also open to any suggestion of other hardware i may need or additional stocking for the new tank....my eventual hopefuls are a bubble tip anemone and maybe even a snowflake eel...the latter is a maybe but I am interested in other fish

Finally any help and suggestions on how to best transition over would be appreciated...

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds like an exciting project, don’t forget the pics as it takes shape, we like pics :)

3. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

What is your skimmer budget ?
    You want one rated for 2x your tank volume..
    As for return pump I recommend DC .They are the easiest to adjust flow on and doing so saves electricity. They also transfer the least heat of pumps to your tank .
    Eshopps are decent cheap skimmers .

4. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

One thing to keep in mind when choosing a skimmer, how tall it is. You want it to fit in your Sump so you have room to work on it.

5. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Sounds awesome! :D I'm very excited to follow along.

Wish I had good suggestions for a skimmer, but the truth is, I don't use one because I have a 20g.;) But, you've gotten good advice there already.:)

I love that you'll have a refugium too, as it's not only great for nutrient reduction, but for microfauna production. :D I'd suggest you put some rubble in the bottom of that fuge and be very sure you get clean chaeto to put in it. For me, chaeto from a favored LFS is what started a long battle with aiptasia.:shifty: You'll also need a light for the chaeto, and here's where I do have experience. This one would have no trouble lighting a fuge that size.

https://www.amazon.com/ACKE-Lights-...cke+led+grow+lights+fixtures+plant+lights+24w

Eek! Sounds like you were expecting this, but if you want a snowflake eel, don't count on keeping any fish that will fit in its mouth.;) They are pretty awesome, but I just don't think I'd dedicate a mixed reef's fish stock to one, and who's to say this nocturnal hunter wouldn't snack on the beloved BTA?

As for the BTA, I'd closely consider three things to start. First, we don't want to put a nem in a brand new or even slightly unstable tank. So, he can't be introduced right away, but we also don't want him going on a coral murdering rampage as he takes his initial walks in your tank looking for his favorite spot. This means the nem should be settled in before getting covered up in new or precious corals. Lastly, protect the nem from pumps, powerheads, and overflows from Day 1. I have seen too many reefy friends excited about their new nems, with plans to cover pumps and such the very day after introduction, only for the nem to get hurt the very first night in the tank.:( Sorry to be a bummer, but I'd just hate to see that happen to you.

Congratulations!! I remember you from a while back, and seem to recall that you're a busy guy. So, I think this new setup with more automation is gonna be just what you need to find more success this time around. :) Do you have an ATO on the 29g that will be moved to the 60g? Will some fish and coral move too?

6. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

Honestly at this point there isn't one....this project is being done with me and my father, who loves this stuff but lacks the patience and meticulous nature to keep it running....so its counting as my Christmas gift to him and his Christmas gift to me

So basically I'd really really like to find one that ends up being less than 250

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Well Known Member Member

Check BRS and Marine Depot.

8. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

So I am doing a complete transfer of my live rock and livestock over to the 60 gallon when I set it up...I'm planning on transferring 60 percent of the 29 tank water and having the media from my fluval 206 being put in the sump...so I am basically tearing down the 29 as it's already going to be expensive enough even without starting from scratch in terms of livestock and lighting....so I think doing it this way I'll be able to have it running well within a few weeks of setting it up and from there I'll get the nem...the ai prime will transfer over and the tank will either be shut down completely or maybe I'll keep it running and put a frog fish in it or something...

I had a feeling the eel wouldn't be a good idea but it's not a great loss for me...I am still unsure of what other fish I can add

Currently in my 29 i have a
    a pair of black clowns
    One fishers angel
    One damsel
    One six line wrasse
    2 barnacle blennies
    1 candy basslet

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. coralbandit

You should be able to grow pods in the sump.
    Go for a mandarin or ruby red …
    I love the little barnacle blennies !

10. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

Yea I was thinking a mandarin as well as getting a few more barnacle blennies as I love them a lot...

I also want a centerpiece open swimming fish.....I was looking at possibly getting a kole tang as ive read that they can manage in a smaller tank only getting a little over 5 inches....but I dont know some other sources say no...another though is a dwarf lion but that may end up being bad

11. coralbandit

The kole is a tough customer .Careful with tangs.They can 'posses' a tank..Kind of wish I never added my Desjardinii..Maybe a blue hippo? Very colorful and not the worst behaved tang? They really do like /need big tanks [all tangs].My hippo swims constantly and is not a real problem in compare to other tangs I have had over the years .
    One of my all time favorite marine fish besides the mandarin is the marine betta.
    Hides in caves a bit possibly but stunning when out and about in tank.

12. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

Thank you the marine beta is an absolutely stunning fish
    I could definitely put that as my centerpiece even with it being so reclusive...I dont know I've seemed to have luck with getting even shy fish to be outgoing...but again that is a great fish

13. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

So everything is coming together and I've come down to deciding between either the reef octopus 150sss or the 110 sss....is the 150 overkill or is it safer to just go that large....remeber with the sump and tank it is only about an 80 or 90 gallon system

14. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, what nutrient export method are you using? Carbon dosing requires a very efficient skimmer, so the 150 might be better.
    I’d also consider the return pump speed. I recommend the skimmer be as fast or faster than the return pump so most, if not all water going through the sump is processed.

15. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

Well I plan on stocking the refugium with a bunch of macro algae and I will be carrying over my live rock and my bio media from my canister filter...I do not have the specs for my return pump on me as I am picking everything up tomorrow...but I do believe that the 150 will more adequately match it ....and then I'll of course be using chemipure blue....but yea writing all this out I think it's best to go with the 150...I can always dial it back if needed

16. stella1979

May I ask why you bring up carbon dosing, please? Any particular reason why a skimmer and fuge would not be enough? Not trying to be a smart aleck, just trying to learn.;)

17. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi @stella1979 - I brought it up because it wasn't detailed as to what would be in the fuge, thus the nutrient export method wasn't detailed. A fuge (whilst often assumed) does not always mean DSB with Macros. A fuge can often be a grow-out frag tank, or simply macros and a shallow sand bed.
    I mentioned carbon dosing because if Ernest was going to go that route, then it's a consideration when buying the skimmer.
    Neither method is better than the other, and apologies if it seemed like I was recommending carbon dosing.
    Hope that makes sense to all :)

18. stella1979

It does make sense @ryanr and I thank you for explaining.:) I suppose I was curious because I recently and painfully read an article on dosing vinegar by Randy Holmes Farley. I've never been great at chemistry but I do my best. No apology necessary, just trying to understand your point of view. So, thanks again Ryan.:)

19. OP
    OP
    Ernest Sacco

Sorry if I wasn't initially specific....in was curious about the benefits of vodka dosing down the line as in my reassech I've seen it pop up a few times

20. coralbandit

I've done both vodka and vinegar dosing, both are pretty straight forward and simple once established .
    RHF has great and very detailed articles . Can't go wrong adding his name to anything marine you search …;)
    I think the only difference between the two is the amount dosed,but both are used the same.For vodka I did like 15-20 ml a day while for vinegar I might have been able to go as high as 60 ml a day . Still both are very cheap.
    I would not have my marine tank without one .
    I even tried for a pair several years ago.They arrived within 1 week of each other in different stores near me and they were sizably different. Had to try but ended up with 2 tanks with bettas in them !
    There are articles from keeper/hobbyist of them actually spawning in aquaria !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice