Tank Upgrade And Fish Stopped Eating

1. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Member Member

I had a 6 inch bristlenose pleco and a betta in a 10 gallon. Before my weekly waterchanges were enough, but recently my pleco's big size has made my water changes more important and so I upgraded to a 20 gallon. My betta is doing fine, but my pleco is sitting in the same spot for hours and won't touch his food. I have never had problems with him not eating. I mean every once in a while he wouldn't eat it, but I'd leave it during the day and it would be gone. I'm really worried so I look at other forums and I saw things about others and ammonia, which is a possibility with my tank I didn't do a full cycle because I dont have room to run the old tank while I cycle the new one. I did use about three bottles of tetra safe start. One i used right away and I saw as I was throwing it away I saw it was old so I put a newer one in and bought one. Then I just put one in now because if the ammonia level. My ammonia level is .5-1.0 I use the strips and it was invetween there.

2. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Plecos can be finicky, especially since most are wild caught. Did all of the decorations and equipment move as well? Is the new tank in the same location as the old one? How long has he been in the new tank?

3. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

He has been in for about 24 hours now. He had a pink house and a log. His log went with but I left his cheap Walmart pink house out. (I set the old tank up when I was 13) the filter is upgraded to the same type just bigger. Same with the heater, same type just bigger. He went from gravel to sand which he seems to be weary of. Tank is also in the same spot. If he still hasn't moved tonight I'll put the stupid pink house back because he loved it to death.

4. Mick Frost

Mick Frost Member Member

Thats a lot of changes. I've done less and had mine stop eating/moving for 3 days. If he's in good health it should be fine. On the other hand, I think you need to swallow your pride and give him back his house, at least until he settles in.

5. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

Yeah im thinking I'll drop that back in and put some plants in and hide it lol. I've never had much trouble with him before, but now that I think of it he has made it his mission to kill my baby java fern i gave them the last tank.

6. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

House is back in and he is moving around in his log also he left the log ish for the first time. Resized952018051895095151958707.jpg

7. snowballPLECO

snowballPLECO Member Member

moving tanks is essentially like buying your fish from the LFS and bringing him home and he not eats for a couple days, same thing.. new tank and new environment for him

8. OP
    OP
    Hunterhusker

I just have never had him act like this before even when I first got him. He has been with me for almost three years now and it just worried me. I hope he snaps out soon it hurts to see him like this.

UPDATE: HE LEFT HIS LOG he was on his driftwood when I came in from feeding the baby kittens (3 pregnant cats 18 babies) way too many. But anyway I came in and he was on his wood munching away. It was used wood from my betta sorority tank covered in hair alge. I guess a few hours of stupid pink house time did some work. He pushed his wafer out of his log. 20180518_203749.jpg