Tank Update Plus Advice

bugsnnuts

Reaction score
A little while back, many from the community helped me with some ideas to build a semi aggressive/aggressive 75g tank. Quick update. It was quite an enjoyable time getting the tank cleaned up, repainted, painting the stand blah blah. Went with sand substrate and live plants, both for the first time, also an experience but loving it. Lots of questions on both but that's for another conversation.

My main question right now lies with one of my new inhabitants. To recap, I wanted some angelfish, a big gourami, a shark, some sort of schooling fish, Yo Yos, and a very pretty cichlid.

Got some Yo Yos coming from a LFS. Went to a big box the other day and they actually had a lot of other things I was looking for. Got 3 gorgeous veiled marbled angels. Got a little baby kissing gourami who is awesome. Also found a cichlid I love and in my naivety bought him thinking he was the same as one I'd researched that should be cool with other semi aggressive fish. He isn't. I grabbed an Electric Blue Johanni which from everything I've read are super aggressive. Thing is, he is doing great with everyone so far. Chases the gourami around sometimes but doesn't bite and the kisser doesn't seem to mind at all.

My big question is, can this last? Really hoping things will stay status quo but think they get more aggressive at sexual maturity? Not sure when that is. Just would love some thoughts, sorry for the long ass post, I'll post some pics tomorrow

tldr : can my johanni keep getting along with my other pals forever

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. No. Possably. Ok its hard to really tell honestly.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a big maybe leaning towards no? They're a pretty aggressive fish, but since it's not with any other close species, that might curb or exacerbate the normal behavior. The biggest issue is really that the mbuna and your other choices have pretty different care requirements as far as water parameters. The mbuana is a cooler water and harder water fish and is definitely a substantial outlier compared to everything else. As it outgrows some of the other fish it probably might kill things.

OP
bugsnnuts

bugsnnuts

Reaction score
I'm keeping the water around 76 right now which I thought would work alright for everyone, very much a rookie and not sure yet about messing with water hardness/softness.

From what I read and based on possible future tank mates I'm looking at, he will end up being the smallest fish in the tank so maybe that will help.

I appreciate the info, I know no one can actually predict it, just really hoping it works out because I'm loving all of them so far.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just make sure to provide a rock cave or crevace for the Johanni. Mbuna usually stay close to home & as long as the tankmates don't invade his space, chances are hostile encounters will be few.

New Threads