tank up ready to cycle!

Marinero

Reaction score
Well my 42 g (didn't go 55 afterall) is all up and running ;D. Gonna start cycling this week.

My first question: is it alright to have an uncovered space behind the tank lid?

I have about 3 inch gap behind the glass lid top. I had to remove the plastic piece that filled that area when I put in my hoses and filter tubes....there were no break away holes so I just have that 3 inch wide space along the whole length of the tank there....(thinkin I might try to cut some holes on my own but might be funky).

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't leave too much uncovered. Some fish will jump out of the tank. Do you know what fish you are going to get?

OP
M

Marinero

Reaction score
So far the plan is assorted african cichilds, a smaller pleco like a bristlenose or rubberlip, and a blue shrimp (maybe). I like the snug type of cover....so maybe with that plastic accessory, I can do a little project and cut some spaces.... :-\

ewiz06

Reaction score
As long as the open space is only a few inches you should be ok. To be safe you may want to try to cover it thougth depending upon the fish that you get. The only other negtive that I can think of with an open space is that it will increase (slightly) the evaporation rate of the water in your tank. This will only cause you to add a little more water periodically or push your regular water changes up a few days, but nothing to worry about.

New Threads