tank up ready to cycle!

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well my 42 g (didn't go 55 afterall) is all up and running ;D. Gonna start cycling this week.

My first question: is it alright to have an uncovered space behind the tank lid?

I have about 3 inch gap behind the glass lid top. I had to remove the plastic piece that filled that area when I put in my hoses and filter tubes....there were no break away holes so I just have that 3 inch wide space along the whole length of the tank there....(thinkin I might try to cut some holes on my own but might be funky).

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't leave too much uncovered. Some fish will jump out of the tank. Do you know what fish you are going to get?

Marinero

Valued Member
Reaction score
So far the plan is assorted african cichilds, a smaller pleco like a bristlenose or rubberlip, and a blue shrimp (maybe). I like the snug type of cover....so maybe with that plastic accessory, I can do a little project and cut some spaces.... :-\

ewiz06

Reaction score
As long as the open space is only a few inches you should be ok. To be safe you may want to try to cover it thougth depending upon the fish that you get. The only other negtive that I can think of with an open space is that it will increase (slightly) the evaporation rate of the water in your tank. This will only cause you to add a little more water periodically or push your regular water changes up a few days, but nothing to worry about.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom