Tank Transfer Advice How Do I

1. darlingfishie

darlingfishie New Member Member

My current 6gal tank had previous fishy occupants that were re-homed because they needed a much bigger tank. I kept the water, and have been doing 50% water changes as usual. There is one mystery snail currently holding the fort and keeping the tank cycled. LFS has confirmed that water levels are good and ready for new animals.... but I want to upgrade to a 10gal before getting new fish.

I plan to move the water, filter/bio-media, heater, live plants, substrate, and snail to this new tank since it is all healthy. I will need to add 4 more gallons of water (pre-treated) all at once when moving to the new tank in order to keep the HOB filter running. I assume the effects of this will be about the same as doing a 50% water change.

Is there anything I should be aware of when doing a move like this?
    How long should I wait before adding new fish?

Current tank info:
    Tank: 6 gallons
    Animals: one mystery snail
    Plants: anacharis, amazon sword, banana lily, anubias nana petite
    Heater: Eheim 5ow (rated for up to 15gal)
    Filter: HOB Fluval AquaClear 20 (rated for up to 20gal)

2. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

If you move fast enough then whatever bb is in the filter won't notice anything is going on. But be warned. One mystery snail won't hold that much of a cycle so add the new fish slowly to give the cycle time to catch up. Add one or two and check parameters then after a couple weeks add three or four more and so on until the tank is stocked.