Tank Tragedy.

atoken64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Apparently the power went off for a while today. When I got home both filters on my tank did not come back on. I lost a few fish including my favorite BRP, Golden Severum and my Red Tailed Shark. It is devastating as these were the first fish I bought after my tank cycled. My Golden was always the first one to greet my when I passed by the tank and he kept the peace. And Bubbles the BRP was goofy and funny. I don't know if I can ever replace them,even though I have two other BRP's and a Green Severum. I also want to know how to humanly euthanize a fish, as my Red Spotted Severum (which I got recently) is not doing to well and may not make it. I had to run to my LFS and made it before it closed to buy a new hob, while I figure out what happened to the ones I had. Sadly they won't get to move into the new tank next month,and I was looking forward to see them in it.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's realy sad when something like this happens and it's not your doing, it's strange how the fish died so quick on a power cut, thought they would live a while without concern, give your severum a chance you never know, sorry for your loss

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is strange. A tank should easily be able to go a day with no filters. I've gone 4 days already. Other then the temp went down nothing happened.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Agree that there might be some other underlying issue here. The electricity being off for a few hours (a few days even) shouldn't cause that sort of damage... unless the tank got really really cold?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see it's. -7c in Kahnawake at the moment not good for fish if this is the underlying factor

atoken64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's realy sad when something like this happens and it's not your doing, it's strange how the fish died so quick on a power cut, thought they would live a while without concern, give your severum a chance you never know, sorry for your loss
Thank you.

It is strange. A tank should easily be able to go a day with no filters. I've gone 4 days already. Other then the temp went down nothing happened.
It is a combination of cold and the fact that is was almost time for tank maintenance and weekly water change. My tank is slightly overstocked so weekly changes are a must. That is why I was getting a bigger tank. I plan on getting a 125 for the bigger fish and a 90 for the smaller ones in the next few weeks. My thirty gallon is lightly stocked and in the only room that holds heat. I live in a very old drafty house, that gets cold fast if heat is off.

I put the Severum in my 20 gallon sick tank with two air stones and filter. Hopefully the aeration and good water conditions will help. He is at bottom of tank but is swimming a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMadScientist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like me in live in a nearly 130 to 150 year old house no on knows....
I dread that day my power goes out in the winter. As it's also a cold climate here. All I got riding for me is my biggest tanks are near my woodstove kinda. Within 10 foot.

Nappers

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear about your fish.
With regards euthanasia, I had a tetra jump out of tank and not be noticed for what could have been 30min when I put it back it was floating with no signs of life, a couple hours later - same, by morning it was swimming around like nothing happened!
If you know it's not going to get better I opt for a sharp flick in the head and a spell in the freezer, it's not nice to do but I can't think of a more humane way of doing it.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Apparently the power went off for a while today. When I got home both filters on my tank did not come back on.
Sorry to hear this. Both filters failed, this is strange. What name filters did you have running?

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sometimes an impeller gets jammed from gunk, and all it needs is a flick to get it turning. Without the flick, no turning. It would be odd that both filters would suffer the same fate, but it could happen.
Before you install new filters, do some testing on the ones you have, to see if this gets them running again. If it does, then you'll need to do some serious filter maintenance, ie disassemble the motor, and clean the impeller, impeller housing, and spindle. But with that done, you should be back up (if that's the problem).

Uber Archetype

Valued Member
Reaction score
In order to avoid this type outcome, I keep all high-value electronics including home entertainment, computers and aquariums connected with a UPS:

CAC16219BEAE2BC9852580140054BCC2_JSIE_ACYLEQ_f_v_500x500.jpg

They keep critical stuff like aquariums running during an outage and protect from power-line anomalies like surges and brownouts.-

atoken64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got any stress guard you can add? Wouldn't be surprised if you had an ammonia problem as well then with all those in one tank, my to severums have a 150 gallon and an Oscar,
No I am going to get some, in mean time added a bit of Fluval Aqua Plus as it supposedly adds a protective slime coat along with removing chlorine.

Sorry to hear about your fish.
With regards euthanasia, I had a tetra jump out of tank and not be noticed for what could have been 30min when I put it back it was floating with no signs of life, a couple hours later - same, by morning it was swimming around like nothing happened!
If you know it's not going to get better I opt for a sharp flick in the head and a spell in the freezer, it's not nice to do but I can't think of a more humane way of doing it.
He seems to be swimming a bit this morning and even took some blood worms, but his tail seems to be paralyzed, maybe he will recover. I am hoping for that as I am really sad about loosing some of my fish.

Sorry to hear this. Both filters failed, this is strange. What name filters did you have running?
2 Fluval C-4 hob. I now have 2 aquaclear 70's running with the bio rings and filter floss pirated from the C-4's to keep the bb.

Sometimes an impeller gets jammed from gunk, and all it needs is a flick to get it turning. Without the flick, no turning. It would be odd that both filters would suffer the same fate, but it could happen.
Before you install new filters, do some testing on the ones you have, to see if this gets them running again. If it does, then you'll need to do some serious filter maintenance, ie disassemble the motor, and clean the impeller, impeller housing, and spindle. But with that done, you should be back up (if that's the problem).
I took them apart today and there was hardly any dirt on the impeller or in the housing. Cleaned it up and presto good as new. So I now have to spare filters, or I can sell them. My lFS buys used tanks and filters if in decent shape and gives you a store credit. I may just do that and use the credit towards my new tanks. I know it won't be a lot ,but still any saving is good in my book.

Got any stress guard you can add? Wouldn't be surprised if you had an ammonia problem as well then with all those in one tank, my to severums have a 150 gallon and an Oscar,
All my fish are juveniles just starting to grow out, that is why I am getting bigger tanks as it would not be fair to the fish to stay in a smaller tank.

The sad part is my Texan, he used to hang out with my Golden and BRB. He went into bubbles favourite cave and has not come out at all so far. I think he is depressed.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sucks, and like others pointed out, really weird. I lose power for 3-5 days at least once a winter and have had no issues other than the temp dropping, and fish can handle that every so often. You may want to check your tanks parameters. A few hours shouldnt cause fish to die, even if you were ready for weekly maintenance.

Last edited:

atoken64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sucks, and like others pointed out, really weird. I lose power for 3-5 days at least once a winter and have had no issues other than the temp dropping, and fish can handle that every so often. You may want to check your tanks parameters. A few hours shouldnt cause fish to die, even if you were ready for weekly maintenance.
I think I figured out the root cause. I used Fluval waste control, which most likely threw my parameters off. Moral of story, I will no longer use waste control as it is really not needed if both filters are doing the job. Chalk that up to a rookie mistake and a sad lesson learned.

On a positive note my Red Spotted Severum might be on the road to recovery, as he was active and swimming around the tank. He didn't look 100% but seems to be getting better, considering I thought he was dead. It does look like he may have some Ich spots, most likely due to his stressful experience. I do not want to medicate the tank as he still seems a bit weak. I slowly raised the temperature in the tank from 78 to 82 degrees, at same time added another air stone.

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's great news. Iam glad the severums on the mend they are such a beautiful fish, it's also a brave thing to admit not only to yourself it could have been down to you but to post it so others don't make the same mistake. Well done

Kalyke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh... I see, Fluval Waste Control. That's the issue really.

I can honestly say it is not really your fault. Companies that make this stuff convince people that taking care of an aquarium is "easy" if you use their stuff. The more people they can convince, the more people give them money.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom