Tank too big for stand

MomOfLiveBearers

Hello, I have inherited a 60 gallon tank with a bow front and the stand they kept it on. Though as I have cleaned it out and gotten a good look the stand is not quite as large as the tank. Will this 1 inch that hangs off on the bow side be an issue? I dont want to stress the glass but am.not sure if this is enough to do so. If it is, what are your recommendations to fix the problem. Can I just place a large enough piece of lumber on top of the stand? Purchasing a new stand is just not possible right now.
20200623_115928_HDR.jpg
20200623_115942_HDR.jpg

Heron

It will probably be fine but it wouldn't harm to place some plywood or something similar underneath. I assume whoever you got the tank from must have had it like it is without issue.

MomOfLiveBearers

It will probably be fine but it wouldn't harm to place some plywood or something similar underneath. I assume whoever you got the tank from must have had it like it is without issue.
They had it propped up on another piece of furniture. Thank you. I will get something to go underneath to be cautious

Momgoose56

Hello, I have inherited a 60 gallon tank with a bow front and the stand they kept it on. Though as I have cleaned it out and gotten a good look the stand is not quite as large as the tank. Will this 1 inch that hangs off on the bow side be an issue? I dont want to stress the glass but am.not sure if this is enough to do so. If it is, what are your recommendations to fix the problem. Can I just place a large enough piece of lumber on top of the stand? Purchasing a new stand is just not possible right now. View attachment 708264View attachment 708265
That doesn't look that bad (on top) but the two things to consider most are:
The stand is obviously NOT made for that tank and
the tank with ONLY water in it weighs at least 498 lbs.
Are you comfortable using that stand knowing that?

MomOfLiveBearers

That doesn't look that bad (on top) but the two things to consider most are:
The stand is obviously NOT made for that tank and
the tank with ONLY water in it weighs at least 498 lbs.
Are you comfortable using that stand knowing that?
Yes it is a solid wood stand. She has used it with this tank with a giant rock scape in it for years. I will not be utilizing the rocks again.

Momgoose56

Yes it is a solid wood stand. She has used it with this tank with a giant rock scape in it for years. I will not be utilizing the rocks again.
The overhang looks like it's < 1 inch-is that correct? Unless you have a pet cougar (or a large child) that might hang on the front lip of that tank and the tank. and stand dont wobble AT ALL, you would probably be fine using it. DISCLAIMER: (Can you post a picture of the whole tank AND stand?)
The depth of the tank and stand (front to back), the kind of surface it's sitting on and careful leveling before filling the tank also play a BIG part in stability and safety.

MomOfLiveBearers

The overhang looks like it's < 1 inch-is that correct? Unless you have a pet cougar (or a large child) that might hang on the front lip of that tank and the tank. and stand dont wobble AT ALL, you would probably be fine using it. DISCLAIMER: (Can you post a picture of the whole tank AND stand?)
The depth of the tank and stand (front to back), the kind of surface it's sitting on and careful leveling before filling the tank also play a BIG part in stability and safety.
I dont have dimensions right now or a measuring tape. She has it backwards right now because of its placement in an old window.
20200623_141954.jpg
20200623_142005_HDR.jpgIm still in process of cleaning out all the old before it gets moved to my house. Here are the best pics I can get with the space it's in. I plan on getting a poly sheet to put underneath before I fill it because there is a groove in the stand up front.

Momgoose56

I dont have dimensions right now or a measuring tape. She has it backwards right now because of its placement in an old window. View attachment 708289View attachment 708290Im still in process of cleaning out all the old before it gets moved to my house. Here are the best pics I can get with the space it's in. I plan on getting a poly sheet to put underneath before I fill it because there is a groove in the stand up front.
Should be fine! Post some pictures once you get it set up. We all like pictures!

MomOfLiveBearers

Should be fine! Post some pictures once you get it set up. We all like pictures!
My new 60 gallon is all set up and cycling!
20200702_192850.jpg

AquEric

You should be fine if you want to put something under the front you can the thing to remember is that aquariums are designed that most of the weight and support is on the corners the little bit of overhang is nothing to worry about
To everyone who thinks my reply is **** think about it we support our tanks on the ends not in the middle

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
sammJack
Replies
Views
Derek88242
Replies
Views