Tank to big?

ponitboss

Well Known
I had cherry shrimp for awhile now in a 36x18x18 last year January tank and by now I thought I would of had hundred, but they not reproducing like they should so I'm guessing the tank is to big, TDS 190 I use ro water and gh+kh mineral. Can the tank really be to big? I have a 12x12x12 I can transfer some to if anything. I have sand substrate in it now though the pic is a old one

Attachments

Flyfisha

Well Known
I believe you have written that the tank has been running since January this year? You are keeping some shrimp alive but they are not multiplying as you wish. Approximately how many are there and how many did you add ?
What is your water change routine?
What are you feeding? How often?
what fish are in the tank?

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
I believe you have written that the tank has been running since January this year? You are keeping some shrimp alive but they are not multiplying as you wish. Approximately how many are there and how many did you add ?
What is your water change routine?
What are you feeding? How often?
what fish are in the tank?
No January last year not this year, I started with 50 which dead down to 10, the 10 bred but up to 40 an now I probably have around 60.
Water change 10% weekly
I'm feeding green beans, spinach, bacter ae after every water change and tropical granules.
I feed them green beans and spinach every (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays)other days and tropical granules ( Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays) bacter ae on Mondays
Shrimp and bristlenose only

Oh and bloodworms inbetween

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
ponitboss said:
I had cherry shrimp for awhile now in a 36x18x18 last year January tank and by now I thought I would of had hundred, but they not reproducing like they should so I'm guessing the tank is to big, TDS 190 I use ro water and gh+kh mineral. Can the tank really be to big? I have a 12x12x12 I can transfer some to if anything. I have sand substrate in it now though the pic is a old one
No I dont believe tank size is your problem.
When are your deaths? Can you tell if they are struggling to molt?

What is your
Ph ?
Gh?
Kh?

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
No I dont believe tank size is your problem.
When are your deaths? Can you tell if they are struggling to molt?

What is your
Ph ?
Gh?
Kh?
Honestly I dont see any deaths.
Ph 7.5
Gh 8 drops
Kh 2-3 drops

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
There not culprits I have plecos in all my shrimp tanks and mystery snails dont eat shrimpletts.

Let's back up. How often do you see burried females?
I hardly seen a berried female at least not for months but I see small babies not alot but some

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
ponitboss said:
I hardly seen a berried female at least not for months but I see small babies not alot but some
Are you using RO water with red cherry's? They like harder water.

And reason saying is yes the best guys use only RO remineralized . But any swing in GH or KH or PH due to water change can kill.

Are you sure your remineralized water is close to your tank perameters? And how fast to you refill during water changes?

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Are you using RO water with red cherry's? They like harder water.

And reason saying is yes the best guys use only RO remineralized . But any swing in GH or KH or PH due to water change can kill.

Are you sure your remineralized water is close to your tank perameters? And how fast to you refill during water changes?
My tap water to hard its over 800 TDs I mix the ro water to as close to 190tds as possible most 180 to 185

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
ponitboss said:
My tap water to hard its over 800 TDs I mix the ro water to as close to 190tds as possible most 180 to 185
I blend distilled with my tap also. A few weeks ago I had a few unexplained deaths. I honestly may think have been that that eat I rushed and refilled to fast. I usually slowly refill a little at a time over a few hours.
Because I am not 100 percent confident my water I made Is the same as my tank water

OP
ponitboss

ponitboss

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I blend distilled with my tap also. A few weeks ago I had a few unexplained deaths. I honestly may think have been that that eat I rushed and refilled to fast. I usually slowly refill a little at a time over a few hours.
Because I am not 100 percent confident my water I made Is the same as my tank water
I'll move some to the 7 gallon tank though easier to cull if anything I'll move the redest of the bunch

barbiespoodle

I'm also kind of wondering about the ro water.

My red tank is a 20 gallon which is 24"x12'x16" may be smaller than your tank but gallon wise, not by much. In that tank I started with just 15 and now have hundreds of all sizes and the colony shows no signs of stopping (knock on wood).

Being on a well, my water is very hard, filtered through good old Ohio limestone, I'm talking ph, kh and gh readings off the chart.

In the 30 plus years I've been dealing with this water, I finally just gave up with trying to fix the water in my tanks and now only keep aquatic life, including plants, that can handle the liquid rock that I call water. This is currently 3 tanks, a 55 gallon community, the 20 gallon red shrimp tank that also includes amano and ghost shrimp, and a fairly new 10 gallon blue shrimp tank that now has quite a few new babies of various sizes and is off to a good start, all tanks also have snails.

Weekly water changes are done using water straight from the well. Thing about trying to change water prams is that it can be inconsistent, it's hard to always do it exactly the same every time and shrimp hate inconstancy.

Again, this is just from my experience. I'm not claiming to be a shrimp expert, I just know what has worked for me.

New Threads