Tank temperature was 95 degrees…

SomyaValecha
Yesterday I saw my tank was around 83-85 degrees so I turned the knob on the heater down. For reference this was in my 10 gallon tank that was half filled. It had a betta fish, kuhli loaches, a pleco, and a divider for 2 angelfish fry. This morning I woke up to find my pleco dead and my black kuhli loaches grayish white. I thought it might be the medicine I put yesterday for my beta fish but I found it weird that my pleco was dead and not the loaches. I took the dead pleco out and found the water to be REALLY hot. So I read the thermometer and it says the water is 95 degrees!! I have no idea how the loaches and beta survived that. I put the fish in a breeder box for now in my fry tank. My betta used to have dropsy where he couldn’t come down from the top of the tank (hence why the tank was half filled). Now he has dropsy where he can’t get himself off the bottom of the breeder box. I think the heater malfunctioned because it’s heat detector was outside the water so it kept detecting room temperature. I filled the tank up now and I’ll wait for all the fish to calm down before putting them back in the 10 gallon. I should’ve known that the heater would detect room temperature :/

Dechi
For the sake of your fish, it is important to keep your aquarium filled with water at all times. Also, not having the heater in water can result in malfunction, as you saw, or even total failure.

Even if it’s too hot in the room, do not adjust your heater. It will not work when the temperature is above it’s setting. It’s best not to fiddle with a heater as just a very slight change on the knob might sometimes result in big temperature variations.

I would advise you test this heater in a bucket before putting it back in the tank. Use a spare one in the tank and monitor it to make sure it’s working well.

If it gets too hot in the room where the fish are and you don’t have A/C, use an electric fan to disperse the heat at the surface of the water (make sure it’s at a safe distance and it can’t fall in the water).

SomyaValecha
Dechi said:
For the sake of your fish, it is important to keep your aquarium filled with water at all times. Also, not having the heater in water can result in malfunction, as you saw, or even total failure.

Even if it’s too hot in the room, do not adjust your heater. It will not work when the temperature is above it’s setting. It’s best not to fiddle with a heater as just a very slight change on the knob might sometimes result in big temperature variations.

I would advise you test this heater in a bucket before putting it back in the tank. Use a spare one in the tank and monitor it to make sure it’s working well.

If it gets too hot in the room where the fish are and you don’t have A/C, use an electric fan to disperse the heat at the surface of the water (make sure it’s at a safe distance and it can’t fall in the water).
Yeah I learned that the hard way. My bettas initial dropsy improved so there’s no reason for it to be half filled anymore. The problem with the knob is that there’s no setting for specific temperatures, it’s only + and -. That’s why I didn’t know it’s max temperature or if it was malfunctioning before. I turned it towards the - and as you said it being partially out of the water probably messed it up. Next time if I ever need to have a tank half filled I will submerge the heater fully into the tank and not turn the knob that much.
I feel really bad for the fish though. Hopefully they get better.

Msdp11009
The forst poster said everything I would say.

you will probably have to chuck that thermometer and buy a new one. The preset ones with +\_ will tell you on the label what it is set to. Small tanks heat and cool so rapidly

Top Bottom