Tank Temperature Question

1. Fredbetta86

Fredbetta86 Well Known Member Member

Hello,

So one of the ways I check my tank temps is with a digital thermometer. Sometimes throughout the day it will go from say 80.6 down to 80.2 and back up to like 80.9 and so on. I'm just curious if it's a big deal if the same degree fluctuates a little bit?

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think that small of a change would stress out fish.

3. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed...That's a very small difference in temp. I'd only get worried if you start fluctuating at least +/- 5 degrees in a short amount of time.

And anyhow, digital thermometers arent perfect, they're going to go up and down a couple of 0.1 degrees (as long as everything else is stable) as the day progresses, fish swim by, etc

4. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

Think about natural water ways have you ever dived into a river or creek on a hot summer day or the day before and after a large storm you find hot spots in side eddies or the top 2 feet are hot the rest is cold or the storm can bring the water temp up and down multiple degrees, in Nature water temp is pretty unstable you'll be fine

5. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Ok thank you!

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

6. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

No problem!

7. OP
    OP
    Fredbetta86

Yeah that's a good way to explain it. Thank you for the info I really appreciate it.

8. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I do weekly water changes but once a month I will intentionally fill the tank to be 1-2C (35F) cooler so as to stimulate spawning its natural