Tank Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by ladyrivermouse, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ladyrivermouse

ladyrivermouseValued MemberMember

I have a male Betta in a 25 gallon planted tank with a Blackmore goldfish and a clean up crew of mystery snails in my office. I'm thinking about setting up a bigger tank in my main living area, I'm very attached to my Betta, he's a pretty cool dude, and I would like him to transplant over to the bigger tank(at least 50 gallon) so that I have more time to watch him. Can a Betta live happily in a bigger tank with more fish? If so what types of tank mates should I be considering? Or would that make him unhappy to have so much activity in the tank?

2. jaymethy

jaymethyValued MemberMember

Betta's will do okay in a bigger fish, but really limit your stocking options. So I generally advise against it, just out of ability to keep the tank interesting. Betta's tend to either be really aggressive towards other fish, or get stressed out by the activity.

I would suggest keeping the betta where he is with his snails, and moving the goldfish to the bigger tank. The 25 gallon is too small for a gold fish anyway, and goldfish and bettas are not temperature compatible. In a 50 gallon you could keep the goldfish with some other cold water friends.

3. WanhiBetta

WanhiBettaValued MemberMember

Betta can be in a community tank, but never with a goldfish. The simple reason is that they are not temperature compatible. The betta need 80 degrees and the goldfish somewhere in the 60 degrees.... you should separate them. The betta will be very happy to stay in the 25 and the goldfish could go in the bigger tank.

4. -Sofia-

-Sofia-Valued MemberMember

You have a goldfish and betta together? If you do they should be separated immediately, they need different tempatures and diets. I would keep the betta and snails in the 25g and move the Goldfish to a different tank ASAP!

5. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

Okay, that definitely sounds like an issue to resolve asap! I'm going to move the goldfish out of the tank tonight and leave the 25 gallon as a dedicated Betta tank. I'll move the goldfish into the 50 gallon and stock that tank with some compatible buddies.

6. -Sofia-

You need to cycle the tank first!!! Take filter media from the 25g to help cycle faster, you'll lose the Goldie if you don't cycle!

7. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

I started the cycling as soon as I realized they needed to be separated. I'll separate them asap, but for sure the tank does need to be prepared first.

8. -Sofia-

Okay great! I wouldn't want you to lose the goldfish! :D

9. OP
    OP
    ladyrivermouse

I definitely appreciate the help! I didn't think about water temp when I brought the Goldie home. The sales guy even told me that they were compatible, so I guess I'll be looking for a new stocking store too

10. Albifrons

AlbifronsWell Known MemberMember

Never trust the advice of store employees, I'd say 99% of the time there's always something they say that is wrong! Instead do your own research and go to trusted resources to ask questions, like Fishlore. Good luck with your stocking, and I hope everything turns out okay for you!