Tank suggestions: Need suggestions until wednesday

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI guys, I have a 15 gallon soon-to-be planted fish tank. I have black sand for substrate , and a really strong filter pump so it can pump as much dirt as possible. I would like to know what plants and fishes I should have. Currently I have 1 albino oscar(3") 1giant gourami(3") 1parrot (2 1/2" ) 1 senegal bichir(6cm) 1 BGK (5") 1gold algae eater(4") 1blue botia(2") and 1 tiger convict(1 1/2"). I plan to add 1baby arowana, some mbuna cichlid, maybe an auratus, some invertebrates a spotted gar baby and 1tiger oscar, and a rainbow and bala shark . Now except for the arowana, I will not remove any of the fish on the "to get" list, but please give suggestions for fish. I may replace those on the list with a suggestion. I am a strict no pleco guy. If needed though I will try to get some hiding spots.
dimensions-
2ft long, 1 ft wide 1ft tall.
estimate of the amount of gallons-14 gallons
*this is just an experimental tank , so don't spoil things like the compatibility or the effects. I like to learn from my mistakes. For example I tried put a bigger pump and my balloon texas got sucked up and died(*cries*).*

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry but none of those fish you listed are suitable for a 15 gallon tank & your 'experiment' will not go well

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its ok. I like feeback so I can learn

Here are some really low-def pics of my tank. It is cleaner than you think

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's good that you're willing to take advice on-board, you'd be surprised how many people aren't.

As mentioned, don't add any more fish, especially not the once you have listed - your tank simply is not big enough. Are you comfortable with the thought of moving your stock around and re-homing fish? Most of the fish you have in that tank are not suitable for it and will also get too big.

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldnt take out the gar and mbunas and oscar on my list for sure

We actually have a 250 gal. and pond so if they get too big ill just ask my grabdpa to adopt them

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In that case you will have to get a much much bigger tank, what species of gar is it?
Cacret said:
We actually have a 250 gal. and pond so if they get too big ill just ask my grabdpa to adopt them
I would ask him to take them as soon as possible then

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, you will be getting a MUCH larger tank if you want to keep them. We are talking in the 100s of gallons.

However, if you wanted to upgrade to a tank that size, quite a few more of your original stocking list can stay - not all, owing to aggression - but a lot more than you can keep now, which is basically none.

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A spotted gar fyi
and my grandpa is willn to take any of my fish.

I have grown quite attached to them

BGKFan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
...I don't think there is a single fish on that list that you should be keeping in a 15 gallon... I don't think all those fish would even do well in your grandpas 250 gallon tank... not to mention what he already has in them.... please at least rehome the the bgk...not to be mean but they are sensitive fish and you really shouldnt keep it....

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have grown quite attached to them
Trust me, we ALL understand that. But if you are truly attached to them, you will understand that they will not flourish, and potentially die in the environment they are currently in. They all need much bigger tanks. Quite a few of them need higher temperatures than a pond can provide as well, I suggest you take them to an LFS, or rehome them by another means.

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. I will try my best to keep the, happy. ;-;

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I suggest you look at the caresheets for each of the fish you have - take not specifically of the tank size they require, and how aggressive they are. This will give you an indication as to what really needs to go, and what can be remedied by getting a slightly larger tank.

I will start you off with an example, Black Ghosts need at least 150 gallons, and a pond would be too cold for him. He will need to be re-homed.

Any questions you have along the way, don't hesitate to ask

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Uhm, I actually don't want my fish to reach full size because I prefer them small

I don't want to give my fish to my grandpa because in his 250 gal he has 2 1/2 ft long arowana and 2 , 1 ft clown knives. And fish in his pond jus die beause he never listens to my dad about nitrate and the prper filter

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is that a joke? Apologies if not, it sounds like sarcasm.

Fish don't grow to the size of their tank, that is a ridiculous myth. Their physical size might, but their internal organs will continue to grow inside their body regardless of the size of said body. This is an extremely painful and traumatizing process called Stunting, and the reason fish have a "minimum tank size".

In that case, your fish need re-homing, or as I have said, they will stunt and suffer a painful, premature death. Sorry for the graphic description, but that is just the truth of it.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cacret said:
Uhm, I actually don't want my fish to reach full size because I prefer them small
Imo deliberately stunting fish & shortening their lives is cruel

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
T_TI'm gonna buy a 75 gallon tank

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
H Cacret
Your title says "Need suggestions until wednesday"

What will change on Wednesday?

OP
Cacret

Cacret

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But stunting in that case makes next to all fishstores inhumane th

I am buying more fish on wednesday(phil wed.)

Danjamesdixon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is good to hear. However, half your fish still need larger tanks. I suggest you take the caresheet advice I have given you - Fishlore has caresheets for pretty much every fish in your tank, stocked with good, relevant information regarding their minimum tank size, and general requirements. You can find them here -

https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

I am buying more fish on wednesday(phil wed.)
I STRONGLY suggest you do not do this, you will just increase the fatal problems you are setting up for yourself. Please remember, these are living creatures you are dealing with, not cheap ornaments. I implore that you shuffle your current stocking, and get the fish that are too big out, before putting more suitable fish in.

New Threads