Tank stocking

Motherlovebetta

Looking for ideas/help for stocking my tanks. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with a male betta, 3 white clouds, 5 albino Cories and one nerite snail. I got a 15 gallon fluval flex for Mother’s Day that I just put substrate for planted tank into and water to start cycling. I also have a 10 gallon I am setting back up because my 4 year old wants her betta back in her room. He actually shouldn’t be with anything that needs a sinking pellet he stalks the cories and eats the pellets and gets bloated. All of the tanks have heaters and my ph is usually 7.8.
My fish wishlist:
galaxy rasboras
Harlequin rasboras
Gourami
Loaches
Shrimp
More snails
More cories
I really only want peaceful community fish. If you think any of these would be a bad idea let me know. I have eco gravel in the 20g and 15g and sand in the 10g which the betta is going back into. The cories need to stay in the 20 gallon. I’m open to any suggestions! I’m not in any hurry to throw a bunch of fish in I may get plants going first.

BigManAquatics

Can't really say anything jumps out as a real hazard.

Upvote 0

fallfever

Just a thought on the 15 gallon, having a love affair with galaxies, they would look gorgeous as a large school, perhaps 12 or more, along with snails and/or shrimp on the bottom. Little bioload and easier to keep up the water parameters, but they swim together beautifully. Lots of color.
Harlequins would look good in a 20 and I'd add at least a couple of more white clouds to make them more comfortable. That really gives you activity in all levels of your tank with cories.
Save loaches for a larger tank, even the smaller ones. They are active little critters and pester the devil out of tank mates with their energy.
Lots of choices you have. No bad ones like BA said.

Upvote 0

grac3

adding onto what fallfever said, you could also add one or two more cories :)

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

Just a thought on the 15 gallon, having a love affair with galaxies, they would look gorgeous as a large school, perhaps 12 or more, along with snails and/or shrimp on the bottom. Little bioload and easier to keep up the water parameters, but they swim together beautifully. Lots of color.
Harlequins would look good in a 20 and I'd add at least a couple of more white clouds to make them more comfortable. That really gives you activity in all levels of your tank with cories.
Save loaches for a larger tank, even the smaller ones. They are active little critters and pester the devil out of tank mates with their energy.
Lots of choices you have. No bad ones like BA said.
I just may turn that 15 into galaxies only! I’ve been obsessively looking at them. I have read that they are fairly sensitive would they be ok in a newer tank as long as I make sure it’s cycled well? They are actually pretty cheap at my LFS compared to what I’ve seen online.
I was reading more on loaches last night and thought that would maybe not be the best idea with my tank sizes, thanks for confirmation.
Do you think a honey gourami would be ok with a school of harlequins?
I’ll grab more minnows! Thanks for responding!
adding onto what fallfever said, you could also add one or two more cories :)
Will do. It’s a 20 tall so I didn’t want to go overboard and then I wanted to wait till the betta was back in his old tank before I got more because they are tiny cats at the LFS and I don’t want a disaster at feeding time! Thanks for responding!

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I just may turn that 15 into galaxies only! I’ve been obsessively looking at them. I have read that they are fairly sensitive would they be ok in a newer tank as long as I make sure it’s cycled well? They are actually pretty cheap at my LFS compared to what I’ve seen online.
I was reading more on loaches last night and thought that would maybe not be the best idea with my tank sizes, thanks for confirmation.
Do you think a honey gourami would be ok with a school of harlequins?
I’ll grab more minnows! Thanks for responding!

Will do. It’s a 20 tall so I didn’t want to go overboard and then I wanted to wait till the betta was back in his old tank before I got more because they are tiny cats at the LFS and I don’t want a disaster at feeding time! Thanks for responding!
  • I also like the galaxy rasboras (also known as celestial pearl danios) only plan.
  • I'd suggest 3 - 5 honey gouramis, with females outnumbering males, instead of a single one. Unlike dwarf gouramis honeys are social, and do better in groups.

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

I'd suggest 3 - 5 honey gouramis, with females outnumbering males, instead of a single one. Unlike dwarf gouramis honeys are social, and do better in groups.
I was afraid of that I think I will have a hard time finding females. Thank you for responding!

Upvote 0

fallfever

Not to disagree and I have not kept honeys in years, but I wound up with all males and aside from occasional bickering they got along well. They were young when I got them and to be perfectly honest I couldn't tell what sex they were. While there may be an ideal ratio, I'm not convinced it should keep you from having the fish. These are not exactly African cichlids :)

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, Honeys are a great choice. On the ratio, I think it's better to have more females than males however Honeys are usually fine. It shouldn't be too hard getting females, they are usually mix in with males unlike Dwarf Gourami.
In Golds yellow trims on the dorsal fin usually means male, and orange trim is usually a female.

Kuhli Loaches are a good choice if you like them or maybe Rosy Loaches if you want a more traditional loach shape.

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

Hi, Honeys are a great choice. On the ratio, I think it's better to have more females than males however Honeys are usually fine. It shouldn't be too hard getting females, they are usually mix in with males unlike Dwarf Gourami.
In Golds yellow trims on the dorsal fin usually means male, and orange trim is usually a female.

Kuhli Loaches are a good choice if you like them or maybe Rosy Loaches if you want a more traditional loach shape.
I’ll check them out then. They always have a good selection there and they don’t usually tend to be bickering. Most of them actually are very pale so i dont know if I’d be able to tell a difference anyway.
I’ll look up rosy loaches! Thanks for responding!

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I’ll check them out then. They always have a good selection there and they don’t usually tend to be bickering. Most of them actually are very pale so i dont know if I’d be able to tell a difference anyway.
I’ll look up rosy loaches! Thanks for responding!
It's a good idea to take a photo of them before you buy and post it here, just to make sure they are Honey Gourami. Often Thick Lipped Gourami are mis-sold as Honeys.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles
  • Question
Replies
Views