Tank Stocking?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Katkatt, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Katkatt

Katkatt New Member Member

Hello! I'm quite new to using forums- for fish, at least- but I'm not exactly new to fish owning (if you count a couple of bettas and some goldfish as experience). However, I am new to owning large tanks though, and I need some advice on stocking a new 10-gallon tank. I want to go for guppies and/or mollies, but I have read that mollies don't do well in 10-gall's on some websites. I'm hoping for a community tank, but doing a predator tank is alright as well.

Any advice?

PS. I'm mildly educated on owning a large tank, though, so I don't need a total rundown.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You will soon find out that 10 gallons is considered a small tank here. I'm posting a link to some good ideas for a 10 gallon. Have fun.
    Stocking List for 10 Gallons

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Unfortunately you're quite limited on a 10 gal - it's not considered a large tank to most. Guppies are appropriate for a 10 gal, but mollies are not. There also aren't many predatory fish that are appropriate for this size tank, though there are a few. They're usually a little more difficult to care for though, often requiring live foods.

I would do 5 male guppies in this tank and maybe a few ghost shrimp for the bottom of the tank? That'll create a lively and fully stocked 10 gal :)

4. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Mollies are to big but you could do about 3 male guppies. If you want a community get some ember tetras and a flame gourami or somethong. Also maybe some red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp for bottom feeders.

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

No flame gourami in a ten. A honey gourami maybe.

6. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Yeah, i got confused between them both. Sorry.

7. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

As mentioned above, 10g isn't considered a large tank here ;D most people have 30-60g tanks!

I wouldn't keep mollies in a 10g tank. The link KimberlyG posted is a good list. If you want to keep guppies, 5 male guppies should good to start with. If your have enough filtration, you could add more (do this when it comes to that point)

Very few predatory fish can live happily in a 10g.

If you want a community tank with guppies, you might add kuhli loaches and shrimp. You can also add male endlers (fairly similar to guppies, but smaller and different coloration)

And important thing about livebearers is that you want all of the same sex, else you will be overrun by fry ;)

8. TexasDomer

Kuhlis need a bigger tank, and additional filtration doesn't make up for physical space (so I wouldn't add more than 5 male guppies, regardless of your filtration).

9. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I was also going to suggest (if you want a larger group of fish) that you could probably stock 8-10 endlers (very colorful and fun to watch) along with some ghost shrimp.

10. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore :) Glad you're here!

You do have lots of options in a 10g, but it's definitely a good idea to do some research before you head off to the store--those baby fish can seem like they'll be fine but they grow!

Others have given good stockings with guppies... would you like some other options as well? I think a honey gourami and a school of ember tetras would be fun :) You could add shrimp and snails too. Another option could be 3-4 endlers and 6 pygmy corydoras. They are SO CUTE.

11. fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

Depending on the dimensions of the tank, pygmy cories are usually not recommended for 10g. If you have longer 10g like one with base dimensions to 15/20g then you probably can but the standard 10g is not ideal for them, even the dwarf varieties.

12. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Pygmy cories are really tiny. And even Seriously Fish recommends an 18" tank minimum for them. I know not everyone agrees on that here, but I think they'd be fine.

13. fishychachki

fishychachki Valued Member Member

Really tiny but they need a bare minimum of 6 in a given tank, 10 of them or more if possible. That, and a number of the more experienced members here have tried housing those dwarf species in a 10g with minimal success (ie. they become a lot less active, passively sitting on the substrate, etc.) Sure, you can always give it a shot. Still, unless it's a 10g long and not the standard 10 g, it probably involves more risk than most beginners should take.

14. TexasDomer

Agreed with @fishychachki - it's the fact that these dwarf cories should be kept in large groups, and the large group is too active for a 10 gal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice