Tank Stocking-uncommon Variety

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jordan44, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Jordan44

Jordan44New MemberMember

Hi everyone. I was wondering if this was a good stocking plan:

I currently have a 22 gallon tank that has finished cycling a year ago but needs to be restocked. (Long story) I have at least 4 caves in the tank at all times along with a bunch of live plants and rocks(arranged in additonal caves and swim threws) water changes are done 20% twice a week

1 pearl danio-I have this one and when kept in a school he harassed the other pearl danios
    3 Honey Gouramis
    3 Emerald or green cory catfish
    1 Bolivian ram
    1 Kuhil Loach
    2 African dwarf frogs
    1 gold mystery snail
    1 german blue ram
    1 rainow shark

2. jaymethyValued MemberMember

Are these the fish you have? Fish you are looking into getting?

If those are the fish you are planning on getting, that is massively overstocked.

Pearl danino's need to be kept in shoals, which you already know. Perhaps his previous shoal wasn't big enough and thats why he was being a bully. I would try a shoal of 10 or so in that case. With 10 of those your tank is just about full though, so maybe trade him in and try something else.

3 Honey Gourami's could work.

Cory catfish need to be kept in groups of 6 or more, so I would up that number to 6-8 individuals.

A Bolivian ram or a german blue ram should work provided you don't have any very aggressive or active fish, as they tend to not compete very well. However, you could not keep both types of rams together, your tank is too small for that, as the species are territorial. Also keep in mind that GBR are very difficult to keep, or at least a lot of people find that the case.

IMO Khuli loaches, which need to be kept in shoals of 6 or more, should not be kept in tanks smaller than 25 gallons as a species tank. If you want other species with them, then they will not fit in your tank, so they are not a good option.

African dwarf frogs are quite aggressive, and will do very poorly in a heavily stocked tank. Thus I don't think they are a good fit.

Mystery snail looks fine.

Rainbow sharks grow massive and will not fit in a 22 gallon.

So I would suggest you stock the following:
    Option 1:
    8 pearl daninos
    6 corydas catfish

Option 2:
    3 honey gouramis
    6-8 small tetras
    1 mystery snail

Option 3:
    1 Bolivian ram (requires sand substrate)
    6 corydas catfish
    6 peaceful tetras

Option 4:
    5 Kuhli loaches

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  3. Colt47New MemberMember

I would not get a Shark unless you plan on getting a 55 at least (Rainbows get 6-8 inches long that will take 3/4 of your stocking capacity). General rule of thumb when stocking is one inch of full grown fish to two gallons of water

4. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

Looks overstocked to me. The African frogs need about 5 gallons each alone. And Kuhlis need to be in groups of at least 5 to be happy.

5. OP
    OP
    Jordan44

Jordan44New MemberMember

Thank you all for your advice. I wasn’t saying all of these fish at once (of course that would be overstocked) but I was rather just listing different aquatic creatures I would enjoy keeping. Would this work?

1 Bolivian Ram
    2 African Dwarf frogs
    3 Honey Gouramis
    1 German Blue Ram
    1 gold mystery snail

Oh I only have the Danio, the loach and the snail

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Robjoco

RobjocoValued MemberMember

If you already have the kuhli, I’d recommend rehoming him so he can be with other kuhlis.

7. jaymethyValued MemberMember

I would suggest rehoming the loach and the danino so they can be in shoals.
    You cannot keep both rams, as they are very territorial and your tank is too small for them to set up territories.
    I'm not sure how the ADF will do with the other fish....
    But the 3 gouramis, one ram and snail should work nicely. You could add a small shoal of tetras with that if you wanted (but pick calmer ones that wont out compete your ram).

8. FishMich

FishMichValued MemberMember

Bolivian Rams and German Blue Rams are not temperature compatible. You’d need to pick one and base the rest of your stocking with other temp compatible species in proper schools if needed.

9. OP
    OP
    Jordan44

Jordan44New MemberMember

Hi I know this is an old post and I am wondering how to create a new one

10. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Go to the sub forum to want to post in, click on 'new topic' and being a new post through that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice