Tank Stocking Suggestions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Emily5, Jun 16, 2018.

1. E

Emily5 New Member Member

Hi! I am hoping to get a 20 gallon tank and was wanting some suggestions with ideas for stocking the tank. I'm pretty sure the list I have now would be an overstocked tank but if anyone had suggestions for how to change it and make it better I would really appreciate it.
    Here it is:
    -6 cory catfish
    -6 zebra danios
    -6 ember tetras
    -3 or 4 platys
    -3 or 4 guppies
    -3-5 mystery snails

2. FishFor2018

FishFor2018 Well Known Member Member

honestly i think that that's a good list! The only thing i would change is the numbers, i would do 4 cory's, 2 or 3 zebra danios, 3 or 4 ember tetras, 2 playty's, 2 guppies, and 4 mystery snails. Are you going with live or fake plants? live plants are harder to keep but i think that it would go perfectly! I personally don't like live-bearers unless there males because females can have multiple litters (?) from one breeding ( learned that the hard way) and your LFS usually keeps males and females together so for the platys and guppies i would suggest you get males. please post some pictures once its done.
    Good Luck!

3. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Thanks for the advice! I might do a mix of fake plants and live ones, but I will definitely have some live ones. I do have experience with live plants as I have a 5 gallon planted tank.

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I have to disagree. Both corys and zebra danios should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

I’m not a stocking expert but you seem pretty heavily stocked. I would eliminate the platys. And get all male guppies.

2 snails would be sufficient unless you plan on feeding them, not enough biofilm in a 20 for 5 Mystery snails.

Just my opinion.

5. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Here’s what I would do:

6x corydoras (perfect)
    12x ember tetras (danios may chase and nip the tetras; I prefer keeping them alone; if you get rid of the danios, you can fit more tetras)
    4x male guppies (adding platys will make it overstocked; having four guppies may reduce aggression; adding females will lead to breeding, which will lead to an overstocked tank)
    2x mystery snails (four of these guys in a 20-gallon seems like too much)

6. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Thanks! As I said originally, I do think it would be overstocked, just wanted to see what other people thought.

I do plan on feeding the snails with algae wafers and blanched veggies. Do you know how often I would have to feed them?

7. Adriifu

Just as often as you feed the fish :)

8. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Thanks!

9. Hunter1

On the snails I would say every other day.

I’m going to make another run at this: all 4 of my 20s have 1 nerite and 1 Mystery. The Mystery is very visible and they survive on algae and biofilm. I’m sure the Mystery gets leftover pellets at times, one reason he’s in there.

3-5 would be too many IMO.

10. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Could I have Platys but no guppies? If so, how many?

11. Hunter1

Platys are bigger, therefore poop more than guppies that’s why I suggested guppies but you can go either way.

How/ what is your filteration since you will be heavily stocked?

12. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

I would get an aqua clear power filter. Probably the size for 30-50 gallons because it would be heavily stocked.

13. Adriifu

Agreed with the above comment, but yes, you can fit three platies instead of four guppies.

14. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

What about 2 guppies and 2 platies? Or should I stick to one or the other? I’ve heard guppies can be aggressive if there’s just two.

15. Adriifu

I would stick with one or the other. They can be aggressive in a pair and calmer in a group of three or more.

16. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Do you think my filtration will be ok? It’s a few comments above

17. Adriifu

Yeah, that sounds great. I wouldn't consider the stocking too bad as long as you go with some of our advice, though. This may make the filtration choice a bit cheaper. I'd go with the 30.

18. OP
    OP
    E

Emily5 New Member Member

Ok, after doing some more research, I have discovered that I would like a dwarf gourami. I dropped the ember tetras to make room. Here's my new list. Would it work?
    -6 corydoras
    -4 zebra danios(I already have them but they're in a small tank and I want to move them)
    -4 guppies
    -1 dwarf gourami
    -2 mystery snails

19. Adriifu

Sounds good. I would up the danio numbers to six. Other than that, it looks like a decent stocking to me.

20. jared638459

jared638459 New Member Member

I think you should keep dwarf gouramies maybe 5 or 6

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice