50 Gallon Tank Tank stocking Ideas

fishot

hi, I have a moderately planted 50 gallon tank with cherry barbs, german rams, and harlequin rasboras.

I need a midwater schooling fish to fill up the tank that actually schools! my harlequins are loners (I have twelve of them). My water quality is great, with soft, acid water.

Or I could get some kind of mid-bottom water non- schooling fish.

Any Ideas?

Motherlovebetta

I dont know if I would add another schooling fish. Your harlequins might just feel there is no threat in your tank. Do the Rams swim at the bottom? If so, you could try a bigger fish up top and see if that makes them school?

Upvote 0

fishot

for some reason my rams seem like all-level swimmers... not sure why.

which fish would you suggest for the top of the tank?

I have tried angelfish, but the cherry barbs were nipping it, so I had to rehome it...
I'd try some gouramis, but I'm nervous about their aggression, and same problem as angels.

Upvote 0

Motherlovebetta

Ye
for some reason my rams seem like all-level swimmers... not sure why.

which fish would you suggest for the top of the tank?

I have tried angelfish, but the cherry barbs were nipping it, so I had to rehome it...
I'd try some gouramis, but I'm nervous about their aggression, and same problem as angels.
Yea, will probably have the same problem with gouramis pectoral fins as the angelfish. How many barbs do you have?

Upvote 0

MacZ

There are very few actually schooling fish in freshwater and those usually won't show this behaviour unless kept in certain numbers and a sufficiently big tank.

E.g. rummynose tetra tend to stick to schooling behaviour in numbers of 40 and more in tanks of 150-200cm (5-6.5 feet) or more.

I dont know if I would add another schooling fish. Your harlequins might just feel there is no threat in your tank. Do the Rams swim at the bottom? If so, you could try a bigger fish up top and see if that makes them school?
I find the practice of using stress to make fish school tighter crossing several lines. Add another stress factor and the fish might fall ill. Not recommended.

Upvote 0

fishot

I have 6 cherry barbs, two males and four females
I do not have enough space for that many rummynoses...
although I could get some other kind of cichlids... would keyholes work?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FishGuy007
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Help Stock My Tank
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
  • Question