Tank stocking and maintinence

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Elsi Ouzts, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Elsi OuztsNew MemberMember

Hello Everyone!

I have several small tanks. I don't have a lot of space and most of it is taken up by my 20g turtle tank.

I have a 10g planted tank. It will be heavily planted once the new plants grow in. Natural substrate of sand and gravel from our local mountain fed river (national monument waters, you couldn't find better), an aqueon 10 filter, a tetra whisper 10-30 filter and a small heater. This tank houses my 5 female breeding guppies, a pictus cat, Nerite snails and pond snails. I do 50% water changes weekly.

IMG_20150718_162153.jpgIMG_20150718_162507.jpgIMG_20150718_162212.jpg

I also have a 5g tank with 2 adult and several juvenile male guppies (they wouldn't leave the females be for even a moment) and a 1 gallon nursery tank with 8 babies.

My question is, my pond snails are reproducing like mad. They came in on some of the plants. I don't mind them too much but they are getting out of control! I know that my tank is supposedly at capacity for fish but I don't want to kill the snails for nothing. I was thinking about getting a Kuhli Loach. They will eat some of the snails and they like the sandy bottom. Will this be too much for my little tank or can my filters and water changes be enough to handle this little beauty?

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Kuhlis are a shoaling fish & should be kept in groups & to my knowledge don't eat snails.
    You can put a piece of cucumber or zucchini in the tank & leave it overnight, in the morning it should have snails on it which you can remove.
    You may have to do that several times & it won't completely rid the tank of snails but will help keep the numbers down, you can also cut down how much food you give your fish as the excess will be contributing to the snail population increase

3. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

Stock wise all our tanks are over imo.

for the 10g, the pictus cat needs a huge 70 gallon tank and do better in groups. Keeping him in the 10 will result in sever stunting and a shortened life span

Guppies should not be in a 5g and require a 10 or a 15g as a minimum tank size

the 1g tank for all the babies will result in extremely slow growth and probably stunting at only a few weeks old.

Don't get "a" khuli loach. They need to be in groups and your tanks are not large enough for them.

Manually remove the snails and cut down the amount you feed your fish,

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Pictus catfish are schooling fish that need to be in a group of 6+, but 10g is way too small for even one pictus.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

I advise taking the pictus back to the store.

6. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

Kuhlis don't eat snails. I would manually remove them or get yourself an assassin snail.

I'm assuming you have an aquatic turtle and I know that 20 gallon is not an appropriate tank size for a turtle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice