Tank Sterilization?

1. H

Honeybee92305 New Member Member

Odd question here. Sadly, I just recently lost my Oranda to dropsy/swim bladder... I still have am not sure what caused this. My water parameters were perfect and 3 days of fasting followed by epsom salt baths did little to relieve the issue I suspect it may have been bacterial. Anyway, I want to eventually restock this tank and so I plan on feeding the tank with pure ammonia to save the established BB in the filter. My question is what is the best way to go about cleaning up the tank to be sure that any potential bacterial/fungal material that might have cauesd the first fish to pass are removed while still keeping the cycle? Is it safe to keep the foam and ceramic inserts or do I need to start all over? Really want to avoid this b/c when I originally cycled this tank it took almost 3 1/2 months...

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure honestly. I'm not sure if you watch the YouTube channel called "solid gold aquatics," but a month or two ago her goldfish all started getting dropsy and swim bladder issues. Obviously the problem was bacterial/fungal. She tried treating all of her intex pools with really no success. She tore everything down and scrubbed everything out. Anything that couldn't be sanitized or cleaned very well (sponge filters, things that are porous and harbour not only good bacteria but bad) was thrown out. Hers was a pretty severe case, but taking the tank down and completely cleaning it out and running a new cycle could be your best bet; just to be safe.

3. stella1979

stella1979 Fishlore VIP Member

I had this discussion in the recent past as well... FYI I didn't end up sterilizing but I am taking my chances. I have been watching the one fish I have left and in the past month I can see no signs of disease. I am taking the chance that if he remains healthy for a good period of time, then I may move forward.

Without life in the tank you wouldn't be able to do that of course. Sterilization like mentioned above would be a 100% guarantee, but I understand not wanting to do that if there's another way. @OnTheFly informed me about basically med-bombing the tank... that may be your best bet, but is usually undesirable as well. You're in a tough spot. If you'd like, start about halfway down page 5 of this thread, where I started talking about sterilizing... you will see some options that were provided by some of our more experienced members. Good luck! :)

Stella's 20g Long Community - V 2.0

4. BReefer97

Either way, I think even "med bombing" the tank can hurt your cycle. I hope with whatever you decide to do that it works out for you :) I'm sorry that you lost one of your fish!

5. DIYhack

DIYhack Valued Member Member

1 fish loss? Any other fish in the tank?

1 fish I wouldn't do anything drastic. It's most likely a bacteria infection. But the thing is this bacteria is almost always in all of our tanks. Healthy non stressed out fish will fight off this bacteria and be normal. If the fish gets stressed (For any reason, water, light, room activity) here come the issues.

But yes their are strains like that aquatic gold that will effect all fish and all tanks. I've never run into that thankfully.

6. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

I had the plague in my goldfish tank and sterelized everything.

For non porous surfaces that are either small or barely come in contact with water (external filter, inside the lid, smooth decor) I used 1 part bleach 10 parts water.

For tank, inside filter, leafy decor, etc. I used 1 part vinegar 5 parts water.

For filter media (because it was so expensive and I didn't want to toss) I let it dry completely, then ran filter+media on chlorine water for 4 days with wc every 12 hours to keep the chlorine in.

Boiling water also works at your descretion.

That would do the trick if you're really set on sterelizing. Not sure if you need to, but there you go.

7. OP
    OP
    H

I love Solid Gold. I have been watching religiously and that channel combined with this site is pretty much where I have learned everything I know about keeping fancies and fishkeeping in general.

At this point I am leaning toward scrubing out the tank and decor and tossing everything in the filter except for the ceramic rings I've got in there. When I add a new fish I may go ahead and treat for a couple of days with a broad spectrum product just to be safe... any recommendations?

8. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Seachem Paraguard is one of the safer products I am aware of that kills many of the common problems. It's not an antibiotic. I one time dose almost every new fish that hits my QT tank. I have FAR less problems since I started doing that. And no need to throw a good filter away. Remove any porous materials like floss and give it a bath in some bleach water. Actually just rinsing stuff in hot water and letting it thoroughly dry will kill off most pathogens, but I bleach things to be safer.

9. BReefer97

What are the ceramic rings used for? I only ask because ceramic is a clay, and clay is porous. If you believe you're able to adequately sterilize it, then by all means - keep it! :)

And I know! I love solid gold too, she's one of my favorite people ever to watch and she got me started in the fish hobby!

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Just thought I'd mention if ever you come into dropsy again , two medications that are very important is seachem kanaplex and seachem metroplex and also Epsom salt. I've been succesfull in the past with it so have others.

I would just scrub everything and keep your filter media wet in aquarium water in the mean time.

also a good broad spectrum product for QT as mentioned by @OnTheFly is seachem paraguard , I always use it , I have 7 aquariums and it never failed me once. I like to QT for 3 weeks using it and then for another week without it to just make sure everything is good.

11. OP
    OP
    H

I've got an Aquaclear HOB and it has space for three different inserts inside. A foam filter block for mechanical filtration, carbon insert (I usually leave that out though) and the ceramic rings are for biologic filtration (providing a place for BB to grow).

I actually went out and got the Kanaplex to try and save my goldie because I had heard other people had good results with it. Unfortunatly the nearest store that sold is 2 hrs from where I live. When I left my place she was still alive so I jumped in my car and drove to get it and when I got back with it she had died... which was tough but at least I have some handy for the future. I plan on ordering a bunch of other first aid type meds online to keep now that I realize it is impossible to get them around here. Definantly adding paragaurd to the list.

12. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

That's unfortunate sorry for your loss, atleast you tried tho.

and diffenetly would be a good idea to keep some good meds on hand just in case.