Tank Started To Recycle

Fishstery

Well Known
Member
Messages
592
I need some more info to help you
What size is the tank?
What is your pH?
What is your stock and filtration?
How long has the tank been set up?
Do you rinse or replace your filter media?
Did you forget to use water conditioner?
Have you used any chemicals or medications recently?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Emma McCarthy

Emma McCarthy

Active Member
Member
Messages
240
Fishstery said:
I need some more info to help you
What size is the tank?
What is your pH?
What is your stock and filtration?
How long has the tank been set up?
Do you rinse or replace your filter media?
Did you forget to use water conditioner?
Have you used any chemicals or medications recently?
10gal tank

pH 6.4

3 platies and a mystery snail

I have a fluval 30 filter

The tank has been established for about 1.75 years

I rinse the media

I always use conditioner

No chemicals no medicines
 

Fishstery

Well Known
Member
Messages
592
Emma McCarthy said:
10gal tank

pH 6.4

3 platies and a mystery snail

I have a fluval 30 filter

The tank has been established for about 1.75 years

I rinse the media

I always use conditioner

No chemicals no medicines
Do you rinse it with tap or the aquarium water? And it's been said that low pH can cause a cycle to crash because the bacteria has a hard time establishing in that level of acidity although I'm not certain on how true that is, maybe try and read in to that more has the pH always been that low?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Emma McCarthy

Emma McCarthy

Active Member
Member
Messages
240
Fishstery said:
Do you rinse it with tap or the aquarium water? And it's been said that low pH can cause a cycle to crash because the bacteria has a hard time establishing in that level of acidity although I'm not certain on how true that is, maybe try and read in to that more has the pH always been that low?
I rinse media in tank water and I do not check pH very often so I am not sure
 

Fishstery

Well Known
Member
Messages
592
Emma McCarthy said:
I rinse media in tank water and I do not check pH very often so I am not sure
I would check your test kit first. There should be a month/date expiration on the box, make sure it's not an expired test. Then I would carefully retest your aquarium water to account for user error. Then if you aren't getting different readings I would test your tap water in full (including pH) and report back. Sometimes the worker at my LFS tells me stories of people not understanding why their nitrates are through the roof and won't go down just to figure out later that they had an issue with a sewage sump which was contaminating their tap with fecal matter (yuck!!!!)
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
210
Guests online
3,302
Total visitors
3,512

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom