Tank Stand!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by Hendrix Fish, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hendrix FishValued MemberMember

Hi, I was looking for a 55 gallon aquarium but don't know what stand to get! Anyone have recommendations for a really good 55 gallon stand? I was thinking about this one tell me if it's good to get if you have it to  

Thanks,

O0

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I usually prefer wood stands over metal but that one in the link looks solidly built so it would probably be ok. My only concern is that it appears very tall & narrow so might rock easily if you have little kids in the house. It could be very easily modified to stop that being a problem though.

3. Hendrix FishValued MemberMember

Thx nutter, I think I'm going with an oak stand I just read an article about how high quality they are, I was also wondering if the stand would be strong enough to support about 600 lb.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

It's only as strong as the bolts that hold the cross members in place & as I can't tell what sort of bolts they have used without seeing them in person, I can't say that I would trust it to hold 600lb.

Wooden stands are also only as good as thier structural design. Some are made poorly out of really good wood, others are made really well out of lower quality timber. A good sign is that they have a table like construction, where the edges that the tank will sit on, are on top of the legs rather than bolted to the sides of the legs. Look at the quality of the joins used to. If there are gaps in the joins then it was probably built by someone who didn't much care about workmanship. If the joins are all even & have no gaps then someone probably took a little extra time to do a good job.

My personal preferance is to either build my own stands or to buy an undressed pine stand & modify it to my own needs by adding shelves, drawers & closing it into a sealed cabinet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice