Tank Stand Paranoia

Heiditron3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ssssoooooo. My ten gallon is on a street scored desk that was heavy as **** (putting that thing in my car was a nightmare). I figured it could withstand a hundred pounds. For all I know, someone had a giant CRT TV on it in its previous life. Anyhow, point being, it’s a heavy thing and the wood appears to be in good condition (the paint, however, does not).

Here’s a picture. I’m not necessarily afraid of it being too heavy for the desk, but I didn’t exactly center the tank because I have very limited space in my room and at the time one of my bettas lives in that now empty crappy cylinder thing. I’m also bad at planning.

I’m starting to hear settling sounds coming from either the desk or the tank itself. And I’m wondering if it’s because the tank isn’t in the center of the desk. I know moving a fish tank full of water is a no no, but if I drain a good amount of water out, would scooching it over be okay to do?

I would like to continue to come home from work without ten gallons of water on my floor and many a glass shard.

Attachments

hanra85

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, maybe while your at it get a bonus water change in too, toss your normal water change amount out, then drain as much as you can into the bucket or at least until its light enough to shimmy over... but keep the second amount to throw right back into the tank so you're not doing an 80-100% change or something crazy..

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't trust it. I don't trust those skinny wooden legs on any thing I use for a stand. But I'm paranoid too lol.

CindyVBPets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Empty the water into buckets ONLY used for the fish tank, then gently shimmy it to center it. You're not supposed to move fishtanks with water and stuff because the seals break etc.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
However you do it move that tank to center of table!! I’m shocked that table didn’t tip. So that said I would say it’s a strong table. Just center that tank and you should be fine.

And I like the way the table looks . Id leave it like that.

Heiditron3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
However you do it move that tank to center of table!! I’m shocked that table didn’t tip. So that said I would say it’s a strong table. Just center that tank and you should be fine.

And I like the way the table looks . Id leave it like that.
Agree! It’s shabby chic without paying a ton of money. Reaaaally shabby chic!

I’ll move it tonight. I thankfully work in a pet store that sells big buckets (I have a two gallon. That isn’t going to be enough, heheh)

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think I could trust that. Yeah it carried a CRT TV as they said but do you know what the size of the CRT TV is? It could be a 13 inch screen that weigh's no more than 30 lbs. Was it a 32 inch TV that weighed 200-300 lbs?

If you worried about coming home to a wet mess and flopping fish maybe you should consider getting some cinder blocks and a couple of 2x6 instead.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssssoooooo. My ten gallon is on a street scored desk that was heavy as (putting that thing in my car was a nightmare). I figured it could withstand a hundred pounds. For all I know, someone had a giant CRT TV on it in its previous life. Anyhow, point being, it’s a heavy thing and the wood appears to be in good condition (the paint, however, does not).

Here’s a picture. I’m not necessarily afraid of it being too heavy for the desk, but I didn’t exactly center the tank because I have very limited space in my room and at the time one of my bettas lives in that now empty crappy cylinder thing. I’m also bad at planning.

I’m starting to hear settling sounds coming from either the desk or the tank itself. And I’m wondering if it’s because the tank isn’t in the center of the desk. I know moving a fish tank full of water is a no no, but if I drain a good amount of water out, would scooching it over be okay to do?

I would like to continue to come home from work without ten gallons of water on my floor and many a glass shard.
Awesome street score! It looks fine as long as legs are solidly attached, there's no wobble and it's level! Great find! I love street shopping...
Edit: having said that, the wood under that paint looks like solid oak. It would be a shame to water damage it with dribbled water seeping under the tank during water changes. I'd set the tank on a big sheet plastic cutting board or something waterproof just to protect the wood! I think he tank is fine on that edge (physics) if the desk is solid (but I'm not paranoid lol!)

Heiditron3000

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awesome street score! It looks fine as long as legs are solidly attached, there's no wobble and it's level! Great find! I love street shopping...
Edit: having said that, the wood under that paint looks like solid oak. It would be a shame to water damage it with dribbled water seeping under the tank during water changes. I'd set the tank on a big sheet plastic cutting board or something waterproof just to protect the wood! I think he tank is fine on that edge (physics) if the desk is solid (but I'm not paranoid lol!)
If it’s oak then I’m happy! And yes, good and sturdy. Doesn’t wobble. I did move it to the center after taking about 8 gallons out (put it all back in after). I swear I have unphasable fish, they were very forgiving.

No “settling” noises since.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the desk looks plenty strong .
With the tank in the middle I think you are all good ..

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it’s oak then I’m happy! And yes, good and sturdy. Doesn’t wobble. I did move it to the center after taking about 8 gallons out (put it all back in after). I swear I have unphasable fish, they were very forgiving.

No “settling” noises since.
I'd you're going to fill that cylinder with water, -the 10 gallon can go back on the side and the cylinder where it was. You only have about 5 inches of the tank sticking behind the outside edge of the legs. Not enough to tip the desk over because of the counterweight of the rest of the tank toward the center (stil physics) and especially if you'd intended to fill the cylinder up and put it on the other end.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom