Tank Stand Modification Structural Concerns

Cody

I setup a fluval 407 canister in my 60gallon tank a few weeks ago. The height of my canister was more then I accounted for and as you can see I have some large dips in the hoses. They’re definitely more dramatic then they need to be but I left them long to be safe when setting up and deciding on intake/discharge placement (I learned you things always shorten easy, but stretch not so much). It’s now time to address.

I could shorten them up a few inches but they will have a u bend regardless. I was considering popping a couple small holes in the top brace so I can 90 out rather then the U bend. My assumption is if they’re small and centered that they should not impact the integrity much.

Any thoughts or alternate ideas? Flow is good regardless and I also have a HOB so I’m okay with it not being 100% perfect.

Attachments

• 087C7E6B-E10C-4610-BFA4-535947B955DD.jpeg
    087C7E6B-E10C-4610-BFA4-535947B955DD.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 18

jpm995

I would just shorten the hoses and be done with it. The holes probably won't matter but why take a chance? Is the cannister sitting all the way down?

Upvote 0

Cody

I would just shorten the hoses and be done with it. The holes probably won't matter but why take a chance? Is the cannister sitting all the way down?
I kind of considered this to.

Yes its not raised up or anything.. it’s built in cabinet for the kit stand. So ideally that cross brace would not be there and it would work out nice. But obviously that’s not an option.

I almost brought it back right away for the 307 since it’s 3in shorter. But It holds more media than the 307 and still probably has better flow even with the extra restriction.

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Funny story... I have exactly the same tank and wanted that filter as well. My solution (that i decided against) was to cut out the shelf and have the filter sit directly on the floor.
I don't think there would be any structural issues with that, but had planned to put a solid wood frame around the hole just in case.

Up to you, but I just ended up going with 2 Todal 110s on the back...

Upvote 0

Cody

Funny story... I have exactly the same tank and wanted that filter as well. My solution (that i decided against) was to cut out the shelf and have the filter sit directly on the floor.
I don't think there would be any structural issues with that, but had planned to put a solid wood frame around the hole just in case.

Up to you, but I just ended up going with 2 Todal 110s on the back...

I thought of that as well lol. I think for now I’m just going to shorting them up to lesson the dip and call it at day. These particle board stands make me leery as it is so I’m going to try to opt against messing with it. But to yo ur point, if this stand went flush to the ground with the legs, it would be a non issue. Either way it still has good flow even in its current stat, plus I have a HOB as well. Just more of and OCD thing at this point lol

I was planning in the next year or two to upgrade to a 75gallon anyways(other reason I did not want the 307) so I can keep this in mind for the next stand I end up with.

I

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

I thought of that as well lol. I think for now I’m just going to shorting them up to lesson the dip and call it at day. These particle board stands make me leery as it is so I’m going to try to opt against messing with it. But to yo ur point, if this stand went flush to the ground with the legs, it would be a non issue. Either way it still has good flow even in its current stat, plus I have a HOB as well. Just more of and OCD thing at this point lol

I was planning in the next year or two to upgrade to a 75gallon anyways(other reason I did not want the 307) so I can keep this in mind for the next stand I end up with.

I
Yeah, they literally wasted 8 or so inches of storage space making it look "nicer" lol

On the one hand, I like building things, but on the other, anything that requires precision like leveling a fish tank stand so the tank doesn't split gives me the heeby jeebies. I think it is a lot easier to get a metal stand from HD and use its leveling feet than to trust my building skills lol

Upvote 0

Cody

Yeah, they literally wasted 8 or so inches of storage space making it look "nicer" lol

On the one hand, I like building things, but on the other, anything that requires precision like leveling a fish tank stand so the tank doesn't split gives me the heeby jeebies. I think it is a lot easier to get a metal stand from HD and use its leveling feet than to trust my building skills lol

I think I can agree with your statement there. The bookshelf in my kids room won’t explode if every shelf is not perfectly level lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Steelcrystal

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Equipment Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom