Tank stand makeover

SinisterCichlids

Hello all,

I wanted to share my upgrade on my 40-gallon breeder metal stand. A lot of you may have this stand, so I hope you enjoy it! I am attaching photos below.

What I upgraded:
• I wasn't crazy about the plain black stand so I painted it white to match my furniture.
• I didn't like that the top was hollow, so I added a durable piece of wood so the tank had more support.
• I wanted to hide the wires so I added a thin white backboard behind the aquarium for a cleaner look.
• I also cut a piece of wood to fit into the bottom rack to make a shelf.

Unfortunately, the shelf wasn't strong enough to support the heavy baskets and it bowed a bit, but I don't mind it that much. I am not very handy, with this kind of stuff so I did my best. This is my grow out/hospital tank for mbuna and peacocks (whatever I am currently working on) Right now it is housing 6 male peacocks who are almost ready to join the big boys in the 75. I turned the lights on at 1am for this picture all of those peacocks look very confused haha

Attachments

• IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8499.jpg
    IMG_8499.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1505734-right-1.jpg
    1505734-right-1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37

BigManAquatics

Looks very nice and serviceable!

Upvote 0

ForceTen

Hello all,

I wanted to share my upgrade on my 40-gallon breeder metal stand. A lot of you may have this stand, so I hope you enjoy it! I am attaching photos below.

What I upgraded:
• I wasn't crazy about the plain black stand so I painted it white to match my furniture.
• I didn't like that the top was hollow, so I added a durable piece of wood so the tank had more support.
• I wanted to hide the wires so I added a thin white backboard behind the aquarium for a cleaner look.
• I also cut a piece of wood to fit into the bottom rack to make a shelf.

Unfortunately, the shelf wasn't strong enough to support the heavy baskets and it bowed a bit, but I don't mind it that much. I am not very handy, with this kind of stuff so I did my best. This is my grow out/hospital tank for mbuna and peacocks (whatever I am currently working on) Right now it is housing 6 male peacocks who are almost ready to join the big boys in the 75. I turned the lights on at 1am for this picture all of those peacocks look very confused haha

Nice upgrade. I have the same stand. Imagitarium.
However I was told by the tank manufacturer and the stand manufacturer to not use anything between the tank and stand. (long discussion here before)
I don't see a negative, but they did say it is not recommended. So nothing between the tank and stand here.
I'm also going to make a shelf for the bottom and thanks for the backboard idea to hide stuff.
Isn't this stand easy to level? Getting rid of our carpeting made it even easier.

Upvote 0

faydout

I've got this stand for my 40B. The mod I keep wanting to do to it is to build some kind of magnetic cover for the front, to hide my canister and all the wires / tubes running under and behind the tank.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Nice upgrade. I have the same stand. Imagitarium.
However I was told by the tank manufacturer and the stand manufacturer to not use anything between the tank and stand. (long discussion here before)
I don't see a negative, but they did say it is not recommended. So nothing between the tank and stand here.
I'm also going to make a shelf for the bottom and thanks for the backboard idea to hide stuff.
Isn't this stand easy to level? Getting rid of our carpeting made it even easier.

Yes, it is very easy to level it has adjustable legs to adjust to the floor. Yeah, I heard that too, but I don't see what an extra 20 pounds is going to do on a tank that already weighs 100s of pounds haha. It's been up this way for a while and the tank is sturdy as can be. I wanted to do another shelf on the bottom but decided it wasn't worth it since my ferrets would just climb into it and use it to boost themself up to the next shelf.
I've got this stand for my 40B. The mod I keep wanting to do to it is to build some kind of magnetic cover for the front, to hide my canister and all the wires / tubes running under and behind the tank.

So I actually wanted to do the same thing just to have a cleaner look. If you are really handy maybe you could make something happen where you can still access the stuff underneath, but I couldn't; so I settled with the back piece to hide the wires haha.

Upvote 0

faydout

maybe you could make something happen where you can still access the stuff underneath

I'm just looking to attach some sort of magnetic strip to some kind of cover (painted plywood or a black dry erase board if I can find one the right size), so that I could pull it off to get at the canister and whatever else under the tank.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Looks nice, you did a great job

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
  • Question
Replies
Views