Tank stand ideas, I know you guys have them.

1. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

So I know Ive been AWOL, sorry. Just moved into my first house and the list of things to be done is long. Ive decided to keep my little gill kids in my office right behind my computer where I will spend most of my time at home sadly. I dont yet have a desk so I can work around that too.

What I am looking for is any ideas on tank stands. I have looked into building one but that will have to wait till I accumulate more tools. Ive looked at prebuilt stands but found nothing that I like, or isn't hundreds of dollars.

I will be storing my 29g, 10g, and q-tank (3g) in the office so something that can house all three would be really cool ;D.

Any ideas guys?

(I really need to get them off the floor, Im such a horrible owner I know)
  2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what are your tastes? Wood vs. metal, light vs. dark...
    Mine's on a granite bar-height counter.

3. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

Looking for wood, but if it can house everything I'd be open to other materials as long as they dont look like a warehouse or janitor's closet.
  4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Look for SH stands. Remember you can always paint them a color that you like or varnish to a tint that you like if it's wood. Plywood sheets are easy to attach to plain stands so you can have that cabinet look. I have also used old style dressing tables with great resultes, you just need to add a couple of braces in the footwell area so that they don't sag. You can use all the drawers to store nets, food etc in. The other alternative would be to buy a nice wood desk & brace it up so that it can take the weight.

5. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

Whats an SH Stand? We speak different english I think.
  6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Common abbreviation on this site & most others for Second Hand. Sorry, used to shortening things up where I can.
  7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... I didn't know what SH was, either, nutter - thanks for clarifying.

So I was thinking similarly - if you or a friend are handy, you could add braces for support to a hutch, and stain it to match your desk. Here's a couple of hutches I found so you could see the basic designs:

The other thing I was thinking was some sort of baker's rack, so it would have tiers. This is going to be harder to build the supports under, maybe? The one I've linked won't work, I just linked it so that you could see what I was talking about.

The main thing is that it can support the weight of the tanks and also that it won't get so heavy that it tips over. To avoid this, I have screwed bookshelves into the wall before. In baby stores, in the child safely department, they also sell products that let you brace furniture to walls.

I hope this helps. The second-hand idea is a good one. You can scour craigslist, ebay, even garage sales. You could also put a posting on CL saying what you are looking for - maybe you'd be able to find a handyman on there who could build what you are looking for within your price range.

If none of this is helpful, check out the DIY section of the forum - maybe someone's posted ideas before?

Good luck!

8. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Somewhere in the diy section is a posting by me on a couple of my diy stands. The results are pretty good but they didn't use alot of tools to build. Both were built using just a handsaw, drill, screwdriver, spirit level, tape measure & then the paint brushes or spray cans for the finish. Even if you had to buy all the tools they would still cost you well under $100. The stands cost me under $60aus to make each not including the lighting or tools. I also have a friend that built his stand out of melamime, (coated chipboard), with a pine frame. He only used a tape measure, handsaw & a screwdriver. I know you didn't want to go diy but I think it may still be well within your reach & not nearly as expensive as you may think. Here's a pic of one of mine.

Attached Files:

9. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

now that looks good Nutter:;dete
  10. KyWildFish Well Known Member Member

Nice stands nutter :;th !!

I had an epiphany last night. There are scraps of wood the previous owner left in my garage. I just out of curiousity measured one (they are all the same length) and found I have enough wood to build a pretty sturdy frame. I need a miter block and hand saw (which I found at the local hardware store for cheap) and some 16 penny wood screws, I have all the rest.

I have been digging on the web a little and found lots of blueprints for a design. I did some math and some configuring with the lengths of wood I have and I can do this. My plan is to build a frame with the 2x4's I have. They are sturdy lumber that houses are built out of so I think they will be plenty to support the tank. I will leave the design open to allow for a better finishing wood when I find it and get some better tools AND do some more internet research on how to apply it.

Nutter you are inspiring, I will take pics of the process and post my design on here in its own thread. I love this fish keeping thing, it gets me motivated to do stuff like this.

11. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

that's gorgeous, nutter. You could probably make some money custom-making aquarium stands.
  12. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have actually built a fair few of these style stands/hoods for people now, though I do a neater job on thier stands than I did on my own in the picture. People love the hinged top with the lights attached. Open the hood & there is total access to the top of the tank. I love doing diy stuff & aquariums go hand in hand with diy projects, so it is a perfect fit for me.

Ky, make sure you post your progress in the diy section of the forum so we can check out how you go & don't hesitate to PM me if you need any help with design.