Tank stand for a 50-55 gallon tank

Tomato the Betta

Hello everybody! I am about to get a 50-55 gallon fish tank and I’m looking for a stand for it. I haven’t gotten it yet, so no worry on that.
Does anybody have a good recommendation? Is a proper “aquarium stand” needed, or is a table or dresser ok? Should I build one? I’m just trying to look at all my options. My understanding is that a 50-55 gallon is roughly 600 pounds when full. That makes me nervous cause the last thing I want is for it to collapse in the middle of the night. Please let me know!

lolapetrovik

I'm not sure if a table dresser will do the job, but if you were to find a heavy duty one, I think you'd be fine. I know there are many wooden and metal tank stands on the market, but some of them get quite expensive and they might not suit your taste, so you can definitely build one if that's what you want to do! Just make sure it's reinforced in some way or another, and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

I would make one out of cinderblock. Very strong and pretty cheap.
I would stay away from those cheap MDF stands. If they get wet, they swell and become weak and eventually might collapse. If you are going to buy a stand, get a metal or pine stand.

Upvote 0

Sanderguy777

Don't use a dresser or table. They are not made to be that strong.

I would personally build one, but if you have never built anything "precisio" before, then I'd just recommend a metal or solid wood stand from a store.

The enclosed stand is particle board and hasn't gotten wet but once and the laminate was peeling BEFORE THAT!

The skeleton one i built using a circ saw, level, and kreg pocket hole jig. (I used other tools too, but those were the main/expensive ones).

Attachments

• 20201001_185158.jpg
    20201001_185158.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200927_223139.jpg
    20200927_223139.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
Upvote 0

ProudPapa

If the furniture is built strong, and of solid wood, it may be okay. I know of at least one 55 on a sideboard.

Make sure the legs are continuous from just underneath the top, and the top needs to be slightly larger than the tank's footprint so the weight is on the legs. If the tank is much smaller than the top it may bow, and of course the tank can't be larger than the top.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Newbie1234
Replies
Views
AndEEss
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics