Tank Smells Disgusting!?!

Leah Beaver

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have rocks, wood, and sand in my 37 gallon tank. Ther is an Awful smell coming from the water—it is like a mix of garbage and pond water...any ideas?? How do I get rid of it? I am in the midle of fishless cycling so I can't do water changes. Is it something to be worried about when I get the fish inside? Where is it even coming from? I boiled the driftwood beforehand.

Side?: Does anybody know what type of rock I have? Could that be the source.

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It sounds like the wood is rotting, and that is what your smelling. You can run some carbon to remove the smell. That really is all you need to do. Or just give your fish a bath

johnbetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
your wood is rotting away and your rock is texas holly rock I use that rock in my tanks it puffs the ph and gh and kh of the water

luckdown

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a different issue with smelly water where no amount of cleaning or water changes helped. Then I decided to stick some of my slightly rooted wandering jew cuttings in and a couple hours later no more smell! I have since added some to all of my tanks.

Not saying that's a cure but it could help you get the water in check.

But yeah it's definitely your wood. I have some wood soaking in non fish tank water to get it ready for the tanks and if I don't scrub them every couple days they stink pretty bad

OP
L

Leah Beaver

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DutchAquarium said:
It sounds like the wood is rotting, and that is what your smelling. You can run some carbon to remove the smell. That really is all you need to do. Or just give your fish a bath
Will the carbon disrupt my fish less cycle? Is the rotting wood safe for the fish?

luckdown said:
I had a different issue with smelly water where no amount of cleaning or water changes helped. Then I decided to stick some of my slightly rooted wandering jew cuttings in and a couple hours later no more smell! I have since added some to all of my tanks.

But yeah it's definitely your wood. I have some wood soaking in non fish tank water to get it ready for the tanks and if I don't scrub them every couple days they stink pretty bad
Wow thanks I might have to give that a try! Will the wood stop rotting, or will this be an ongoing issue?

luckdown said:

Wow thanks I might have to give that a try! Will the wood stop rotting, or will this be an ongoing issue?
johnbetta said:
texas holly rock
Well I do live in Texas so that makes sense, thanks!

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is the wood squishy?
Go and touch it.

If not, it could jus5 be the scent of ammonia from cycling.

Also, where in Texas are you located?

OP
L

Leah Beaver

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
d
johnbetta said:
your wood is rotting away and your rock is texas holly rock I use that rock in my tanks it puffs the ph and gh and kh of the water
Do you happen to know the name on the brown rock?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That brown rock look so like black lava rock.
I have it in 3 of my tanks.

LOL my biggest female photobombed!

Attachments

OP
L

Leah Beaver

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
Is the wood squishy?
Go and touch it.

If not, it could jus5 be the scent of ammonia from cycling.

Also, where in Texas are you located?
the smell started before cycling, it is just getting worse... it is not squishy like a sponge, more slimy/soft than anything. I got the driftwood from manzanita-driftwood.com which is supposed to be reputable

luckdown

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Technically speaking any wood you put into your aquarium is going to rot, just at different rates. I'd suggest when you start to do water changes and stuff give your wood a quick scrub on gravel cleaning days if you can't get the smell to go away by other means.

But pothos or wandering Jews are great to stick into your hob filters or anywhere else you can stick them where just the roots go into the water and none of the leaves. It'll also help keep your nitrates (and algae I believe) in check when you get your fish in there :3

I also use ivy for my fry tank - they love hiding in the roots!

Triston Wasmund

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Leah Beaver said:
the smell started before cycling, it is just getting worse... it is not squishy like a sponge, more slimy/soft than anything. I got the driftwood from manzanita-driftwood.com which is supposed to be reputable
Sorry to be off topic, but what city of Texas are you located in?

OP
L

Leah Beaver

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Triston Wasmund said:
Sorry to be off topic, but what city of Texas are you located in?
near the DFW area, sorry forgot to reply to that one!

New Threads