Tank Size

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I’ve just gotten my first Oscar and I’m pretty excited. I did just want to confirm something I’ve been seeing everywhere tho, can an Oscar be kept in a 55 longterm-ish? I have the tank and it’s ready for him for the most part, I just want to be sure he’ll be happy in there for awhile. I know a 75 is what most people here are recommending but I don’t currently have the room for such a large tank and have seen other sites recommend a 55 as “bare minimum” for an Oscar.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually i think most on here would recommend something even wider than a 75 gallon. As far as a 55 its only 12 inches wide and an oscar can get 15 inches long so its pretty cramped.

OscarHoya

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's tough. Everyone will tell you that you need a 100+g tank for just about any bigger cichlid, but it just isn't possible for most people. I've been thinking about what I want for my new 75g for weeks now. Oscars are my favorite - hands down. But I agree about most 55g tanks being two narrow. I'm considering a JD and a couple convicts instead. I've even thought about an Oscar and a couple convicts in my 55g with plans to go to a 120 or 150 tank. But if that doesn't happen, my Oscar will be stuck in a shoe box.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am growing out an Oscar in a 55, 12x48x22" tall. I have a 10 gallon sump for filtration.

I've had him for 6 months and he is over 8 inches now. He is doing really well but I keep him alone since he got over 6 in.

He will have to live there for about three more months until my house is remodeled, and then I intend to transplant into a larger custom-made tank. At the rate he grows he should be about a foot long by then.

Just remember that whatever tank you choose these fish need big filtration. 2 Aqueon 75 HOBs on a 55 are almost enough, but you will still be changing lots of water.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bit the bullet and got the 75g as it was one sale and my current stand was built with a 75g in mind. I'm running a Fluval 306 canister on it, altough I'll be changing it out for a 406 in the future.

Ryan Neidinger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just adopted an Oscar from the fish store who was living in a 55 gal tank. He is about 11-13 inches right now and I don’t know if he will grow anymore because I’m unaware of his age. I also have a 6 month old in a 55 gal tank because of the deal I got on the tank but seeing how active my adopted fish is, I would recommend getting at least a 75 gal once he grows up or when ever there is a really good sale.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom